Re: ... and daytime polar alignment

Mike Dodd

On 4/21/2019 2:53 PM, Tyrel Smith tysmith747@gmail.com [ap-gto] wrote:

I guess I just don’t understand the need for a level....
I use a level only to re-establish the Park 1 position after loosening the clutches to balance the mount. Oh, and also for the initial setup on a concrete pier in a new observatory.

Regarding the "need" for a high-precision level, for me, it was a matter of personal preference. I like to be sure I start from a position that's fairly accurate, and I didn't mind spending the money for a level that helps me achieve this.

I certainly acknowledge that other methods and instruments can and do work well, and I applaud those who get good results without high-precision tools.

--- Mike