Re: ... and daytime polar alignment

Joe Zeglinski

Hi  Mike,

    One thing that always concerns me is whether I can rely on a bubble level – of any precision – to be correct when placed on the counterweight shaft. I have about 60 lbs at the END of mine, and surely there must be “some flex” of the shaft, or even a slight  dip in the threads at the end of my AP900/1200 mount axis, or its end cap. So, I prefer to place the bubble level right on the mount body itself. There should have been one in the design, possibly where the AP nameplate was fastened.

    On the DEC balance, I hold the level right on the doveplate edge – where the Starrett groove fits nicely along the D-Plate edge -  since the OTA can flex, especially a truss, according to some.

Joe