Re: Carrying cases for the two parts of the Astro Physics 1100 GTO mount

Thomas Swann

Mike,

It is polyethelene foam.  When I lived in southern California I was able to purchase a couple (giant roughly 4'x8') planks of the stuff from a local shipping supply company.  Uline sells it too.

thomas

On 3/5/2019 1:23 PM, mike.hambrick@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Speaking of foam I am looking for a source for the rigid foam like A-P uses to pack their mounts in. I think it is ployethylene foam, but I am not sure what specific type it is or where to get it.

Also, speaking of a different kind of foam, I may have told this story before, but it is worth repeating. My 180 EDT went unused for quite a few years. I kept it in the case that came with it, and it was always stored indoors. Several years ago when I finally decided to start using it again I discovered that the soft polyurethane foam that was used to line the storage case had completely deteriorated and would just crumble apart when touched. The worst part was that there was a layer of the deteriorated foam stuck to the surface of the telescope. It was quite an ordeal to remove it. I tried every kind of cleaner I could find to remove the residue with no success. I also discovered something that WD40 would NOT work on. In the end, the only thing that worked to remove the stuck-on film was mosquito spray. I have always heard that the active ingredient in mosquito spray (DEET) will remove permanent marker. Well, it also worked quite well to remove this stuck on residue from my scope. Unfortunately, it had little effect on keeping the mosquitos away once I started using the scope again. After this incident I checked the condition of the foam liners in the other storage cases I had and found several where the foam was in various stages of deterioration. The moral of this story is that if you are storing anything in a case that has a soft polyurethane foam liner, you should closely monitor the condition of the foam when it is more than 7 or 8 years old.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

From:        "Chris Carlton pselaphid@... [ap-gto]"
To:        ap-gto@...
Date:        2019-03-04 05:19 PM
Subject:        Re: [ap-gto] Carrying cases for the two parts of the Astro Physics 1100 GTO mount
Sent by:        ap-gto@...

Thanks, but I owe it all to those great quality AP cardboard shipping boxes and inserts. Now we'll see if the foam inserts last as long as my boxes....and the mount!

Chris

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 4:21 PM Robert Langland rtlangland@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I don’t care what you say, you have arrived at a pretty good solution.  I really appreciate you sending me the pictures.  I have contacted a cabinet maker and he is going to put me touch with some folks that I’m going to see about arriving at a similar solution.

Again, Thanks for sharing.

Bob Langland

On Mar 4, 2019, at 3:04 PM, pselaphid@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I was monitoring the case discussion while working on this. Like others, after taking delivery of my 1100, I speculated about building boxes the same dimensions as the shipping boxes so that the original packing inserts could me used. I also considered how to deal with the 65 lbs of weights so that I wasn't lugging them around individually or in make shift tool boxes that do not render them any less heavy.. I posted a few pics in an album on my Flickr site linked below for your inspection.

If I had to do it again, I would make the mount boxes 1/2 inch wider and longer than the cardboard versions so that the fit is a little less snug. The foam inserts fit perfectly in my case without the need for adhesive. I suspect the light duty carry-on luggage dolly I attached to the counterweight caddy will require an upgrade due to the flimsy wheels, but it all works fine for now, probably with a total investment of around $75. Mind you, I'm not much of a carpenter and much less of a cabinet maker, so keep fit and finish critiques private and lift with your knees.

Chris

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12666884@N00/albums/72157707142918925

--
Chris Carlton, Ph. D.