Re: Carrying cases for the two parts of the Astro Physics 1100 GTO mount

Chris Carlton

Thanks, but I owe it all to those great quality AP cardboard shipping boxes and inserts. Now we'll see if the foam inserts last as long as my boxes....and the mount!

Chris

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 4:21 PM Robert Langland rtlangland@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I don’t care what you say, you have arrived at a pretty good solution.  I really appreciate you sending me the pictures.  I have contacted a cabinet maker and he is going to put me touch with some folks that I’m going to see about arriving at a similar solution.

Again, Thanks for sharing.

Bob Langland

On Mar 4, 2019, at 3:04 PM, pselaphid@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I was monitoring the case discussion while working on this. Like others, after taking delivery of my 1100, I speculated about building boxes the same dimensions as the shipping boxes so that the original packing inserts could me used. I also considered how to deal with the 65 lbs of weights so that I wasn't lugging them around individually or in make shift tool boxes that do not render them any less heavy. I posted a few pics in an album on my Flickr site linked below for your inspection.

If I had to do it again, I would make the mount boxes 1/2 inch wider and longer than the cardboard versions so that the fit is a little less snug. The foam inserts fit perfectly in my case without the need for adhesive. I suspect the light duty carry-on luggage dolly I attached to the counterweight caddy will require an upgrade due to the flimsy wheels, but it all works fine for now, probably with a total investment of around $75. Mind you, I'm not much of a carpenter and much less of a cabinet maker, so keep fit and finish critiques private and lift with your knees.

Chris

--

Chris Carlton, Ph. D.

Director, Carlton Astronomy Campus

Professor of Entomology, Emeritus

Department of Entomology, Louisiana State University

Baton Rouge, LA USA 70808

http://www.cleardarksky.com/c/CrAstCmpMSkey.html>