Re: Carrying cases for the two parts of the Astro Physics 1100 GTO mount

Chris Carlton

I was monitoring the case discussion while working on this. Like others, after taking delivery of my 1100, I speculated about building boxes the same dimensions as the shipping boxes so that the original packing inserts could me used. I also considered how to deal with the 65 lbs of weights so that I wasn't lugging them around individually or in make shift tool boxes that do not render them any less heavy. I posted a few pics in an album on my Flickr site linked below for your inspection.

If I had to do it again, I would make the mount boxes 1/2 inch wider and longer than the cardboard versions so that the fit is a little less snug. The foam inserts fit perfectly in my case without the need for adhesive. I suspect the light duty carry-on luggage dolly I attached to the counterweight caddy will require an upgrade due to the flimsy wheels, but it all works fine for now, probably with a total investment of around $75. Mind you, I'm not much of a carpenter and much less of a cabinet maker, so keep fit and finish critiques private and lift with your knees.

Chris