Re: Initial alignment

Bruce Donzanti

ok- well, I've had the mount for almost 2 years and it was very good when breaking it down and setting back up but never as accurate as you describe even after doing drift alignment and using the RAPAS.  So, maybe the OTA ortho is the problem.   I use to have the AP HC but changed to SkySafrai Pro6 and it worked very well.  Now, on a completely new setup, permanent, with different software but one many use.  I'll check my PA once again but I suspect it is the OTA ortho, or cameras, other accessories on top of it on a dovetail that I never had before.  Mirror is locked down and using a moonlite focuser but not convinced the locks really work.  

Thanks for the tips and advice..... appreciate it. 

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 4:27 PM 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Effectively speaking, AP mounts don't lose their sky alignment when the power is removed, unlike Meade, Celestron, iOptron, etc. mounts. 

When being powered up, AP mounts know precisely where they were pointing when power was removed. The only thing they don't know is the current time/date/location, etc. and wait for an external PC or app or AP hand controller to tell them. 

However users that are not familiar with how AP mounts work, might be over-complicating their lives with incorrect assumptions.

When power is restored to an AP mount, it knows precisely where it was pointing when power was removed. In a permanent setup, simply do a GOTO to some object to confirm pointing.

If you pointing is off after restoring power, you most likely have an issue with OTA ortho, OTA/focuser/attachment/camera flexure, mirror flop or polar misalignment.

If you are using both a PC and the AP hand controller, there may be issues with slightly different time/date/location data between the two controllers.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2019 9:57 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Initial alignment

Permanent - thanks both

I'll download and try it.  I thought I had things worked out then I made some adjustments on the scope and now alignment is off again.  Guess I can try to check ortho issue if I find the easiest method from up that high to do it.  

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 2:39 PM Christopher Erickson christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Permanent pier or temporary setups? If it is permanent then you only need to align once after the first setup.

Ortho error might be making your life more complicated. Evaluate it and fix it.

Besides all-sky plate solve, some people put a tiny refractor on their main scope with its own camera. This can help with pointing confirmation and remote alignment recovery.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019, 9:17 AM Wayne wayneh9026@yahoo..com [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

All sky plate solve?

On Feb 23, 2019, at 11:13 AM, donzantib@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I recently put my C11' on a mount about 11 or so feet above the ground.  So, using a finder scope to center an object after slewing from parked position 4 is no longer practical.  If the object is not on my software screen, I'm lost and I have a very narrow FOV at f/10.  What is the best way to approach this problem?  

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.