Re: Inconsistent results with APPM Tracking Model

Ray Gralak

Hi Marco,

after several tests and several pointing models done with inconsistent results with
encoders, I decided to make new
tests thanks to the new APCC version just released and the good
weather of these days.
I don't recall your setup so what image scale and type of telescope are you using? The feedback from some others has been that unguided tracking has been very good in the latest 1.7.0.x betas, but image scale and telescope type matters. Thus, the unguided tracking performance you will get depend will depend very much on your setup, including how consistent pointing is, and how well the data collected fits the model.

BTW, did you look at your pointing model and exclude any outliers from the model? This can dramatically improve tracking. You can do that with the latest 1.7 release. Also, there are some interesting new graphs that you can look at to determine potential problems.

So, I think the best way to move forward is for us to get your logs and we'll do some analysis offline. We will need all details about your setup including your telescope model, camera(s), the software you are using, and if possible a picture of your setup to see if there might be anything like cabling causing a potential problem.

You can use the APCC log zipper to bundle all your log and settings files, including PNT files. I see you are using drop box so please provide a link to the zip file and your setup details. You can either post publicly or email the details and link privately (recommended) to GROUPS3 at GRALAK dot COM and HOWARD at ASTRO-PHYSICS dot COM.

I have nothing against the beta versions, but the way that they are difficult to find:
please decide to publish also the Beta versions of AP website.
I don't have access to the AP web site so the only place to publish links is this forum. I think AP may be planning some changes to their web site so that might change.

The latest public is dated July 2017, nearly two years ago!
There are a couple reasons for this. One reason is that I needed to finish PEMPro V3 so I was focused on that for many months. Also, I have been spending a lot of my free time answering public posts and private emails which eats into the time I can spend developing the software.

BTW, Astro-Physics also has not been charging the annual subscription for APCC despite that there have been a number of beta releases with new features last year and this year.

Just as a brief note, I would like to underline that the latest release is again a BETA.
Ray, when are you going to release a public version?
It's up to Astro-Physics when APCC will 1.7.x be officially released. However, since I rewrote some of the modeling logic for 1.7 there have been some issues with pointing accuracy that I have been trying to fix. Unfortunately the weather has not been cooperating. I haven't been able to test much with the unusually rainy and cloudy weather my area has had this winter. At least for this week the weather pattern is supposed to change so I think it should be clear enough for me to resume outdoor testing.

-Ray Gralak