Re: Balancing 130GTX with heavy camera load

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

I've used counterweights on the underside of the Losmandy dovetail plate, at the front end of the scope. It works fine but you have to note that the threaded rode on some designs is quite long and I'd make sure there are no configurations of the scope position that allow this rod protruding downward can hit the mount (or anything else). On my Planewave the CW's don't come anywhere near the mount but on my AP155, they get close so I manually swung the scope all over the place to ensure there was no way for the long rod to hit the mount.

Stuart

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 13:46, Dale Ghent daleg@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Yeah I would recommend balancing by position (having a long saddle that allows one to slide the OTA forward as Michael describes) over counterwieghting of any sort.

If you MUST balance by counterweight, you could use an inverted Losmandy D plate on the top of the rings with Losmandy's DVWS or DVDWS kit mounted on the forward portion of it.

> On Jan 29, 2019, at 1:28 PM, mike.hambrick@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi Wayne
>
> I had the same balancing issue with my 1100GTO mount and Tele-Vue NP101-is refractor when I got a new SBIG STXL16200 camera with filter wheel. This camera has a combined weight of about 10 pounds. My solution was to get the Easy Balance 16-inch Dovetail Saddle (DOVELM162) and the 16-inch Dovetail Plate (SBD16). These were a great investment, and make the balancing very simple and quick. I highly recommend them. You might be able to get by with a smaller saddle and mounting plate for the 130 GTX. I chose the larger version to allow me to switch back and forth between my tiny Tele-Vue 100 mm refractor and my behemoth 180mm EDT refractor. Someone else in the user group had previously postulated a theory that the gravitational constant for the earth is increasing. My findings also support that claim because I have found that my 180 EDT is also getting heavier as I get older.
>
>
> Best Regards
>
> Michael Hambrick
> ARLANXEO
> TSR Global Manufacturing Support
> PO Box 2000
> Orange, TX 77631-2000
> Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
> email: mike.hambrick@...
>
>
>
> From: "wayneh9026@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
> To: <ap-gto@...>
> Date: 2019-01-29 12:04 PM
> Subject: [ap-gto] Balancing 130GTX with heavy camera load
> Sent by: ap-gto@...
>
>
>
>
> Any suggestions for balancing a short refractor like the 130GTX with a heavy camera load, say 12.6 lbs? Both on an AP110- and a Mach1. Are there counterweights designed for the front of the scope?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wayne
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.