Re: Balancing 130GTX with heavy camera load

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

I've used counterweights on the underside of the Losmandy dovetail plate, at the front end of the scope. It works fine but you have to note that the threaded rode on some designs is quite long and I'd make sure there are no configurations of the scope position that allow this rod protruding downward can hit the mount (or anything else). On my Planewave the CW's don't come anywhere near the mount but on my AP155, they get close so I manually swung the scope all over the place to ensure there was no way for the long rod to hit the mount.

Stuart

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 13:46, Dale Ghent daleg@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Yeah I would recommend balancing by position (having a long saddle that allows one to slide the OTA forward as Michael describes) over counterwieghting of any sort.

If you MUST balance by counterweight, you could use an inverted Losmandy D plate on the top of the rings with Losmandy's DVWS or DVDWS kit mounted on the forward portion of it.