Re: Force on screws holding mount to pier

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Barry, my wild guess would be based on this logic: I'm NEVER going to remove the counterweights with the scope still mounted BUT  I will remove the scope and leave the CW's in the lowest position. Not for long but if I was dismantling or assembling, the weights would be on always before the scope. So, it would seem to me that whenever the mount isn't in perfect balance, there would be pull UP on the south side (weights pulling down on the north side) of the plate and so I'd put the extra bolts on the south side of the plate..

Stuart

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 at 01:01, 'Barry Megdal' bmegdal@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I am trying to decide which of the threaded holes on the top of my Monolith pier I should use to mount the flat surface adapter for an 1100 mount.  I can have two extra screws on either the North of South side of the pier, but not both.

It is hard to decide visually so I thought I would ask – with a balanced scope on the 1100 is there more of an upwards force on the screws on the north or the south side of the base of the mount?  Or is it the same?

-        Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.