Re: Potential Issue: Mount Shifting on Pier After Setup

George

Mike,

Something that immediately catches my attention is that you say that you polar align before putting the scope on the mount and balancing.   This is not the recommended procedure.    You always want to have everything balanced and THEN polar align.   This is especially true if you are setting up on grass or dirt, as both are very soft and spongy and will change the positioning.

The 5/16” screws that secure the mount can be tightened without fear of stripping the threads.   If you want, you can use longer screws to feel more comfortable that cranking down the screws with firm tightening will not possibly strip the threads, just be sure that the hex key is fully inserted and that it is not worn.

If the holes in your pier have become oblong (you mention that you had to modify your pier), then it is possible to use a Flat Pier Plate (M9010-A) and Permanently affix it to your pier with massive torque and lock washers.   You can then attach a Flat Surface Adapter (119FSA) and you will have a new pier top that is fully CNC machined.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.