Re: SGP Pier Flip and APCC

Ray Gralak

Hi Michael,

It would be nice to have complete documentation for how to use the mount so I could get the most out of it. The
'G' protocol that is the current level of documentation is inadequate.
Over 15 years ago I wrote "PulseGuide", a C++ windows application with less documentation than is available today. When PulseGuide
was developed the GTOCP3 was new and firmware was only "D".
This firmware didn't even have adjustable tracking rates or meridian delays but I implemented these two features and more. I also
implemented counterweight-up parking too.

My point is that all the commands necessary for imaging/remote operations where available then. Sure there have been many
improvements and new commands added, but most are not absolutely required for imaging.

It would also be a nice move to have documentation so an open source tool to generate
and program PEC curves could be developed.
OK, so what's stopping you *today* from starting that? Most mounts don't have direct uploads to the mount so the most basic feature
it will need is to playback a generated curve while the mount captures the data. PEMPro was able to do that 15 years ago so there is
a precedent that it can work, even with A-P mounts.

That said, the hard part is not uploading to the mount. That's just a small fraction of the work required.

I would really like to get away from needing Windows for any part of my imaging solution and unfortunately this
is not possible with AP mounts (yet). At the moment I find that a con for using AP mounts and if there was
another high end solution offering this I'd be tempted. And no running SkyX on a Raspberry Pi is not a
solution imho.
I thought TheSkyX can run on a Mac. Doesn't that meet your criteria?

As I said previously, I think the next step might be an ASCOM implementation using .Net Core, which is cross-platform compatible
between Windows, Mac OS, and LINUX.

What's cool about .Net Core 3.x is that it will support WinForms and WPF applications. Thus, apps like APCC, PEMPro, SGPro,
CCDAutoPilot, etc., could be modified to run on LINUX/Mac OS.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak