Re: USB (or Serial) vs Ethernet: Which is better or more reliable?

Robert Berta

I too run a USB active cable that is 62' long and haven't had any problems in about 12 years of use. I have the mount  here in Michigan which as you know gets very cold in the Winter and up to around 100 degrees in the Summer. The laptop is in my house. The USB is used for the imaging camera and slave autoguider camera (both SBIG)
Connection to the focuser is wireless and the planetarium program is Sky Safari 6 PRO run wireless via a SKY FI unit.
I have a CP4 on my GTO 1100 mount but I prefer the SKY FI wireless as the AP has a problem dropping connections. AP evidently knows about the issue and hopefully working on making it more robust.  The SKY FI is bullet proof though.