Re: USB (or Serial) vs Ethernet: Which is better or more reliable?

topboxman

Thanks Ray and Bill.

I will try out Ethernet cables with CP4 and Optec Focus Boss II auto focuser on next moonless nights.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <groups3@...> wrote :

Hi Peter,

> My question is, do you trust Ethernet more than USB2 for controlling CP4 as well as Optec Focus Boss II auto focuser
> hub? I am not interested in high speed transmission because the bandwidth is very low. I have read that more people
> prefer or trust Ethernet than USB2? Does Ethernet have less overhead in protocol than USB2? Do you think Ethernet
> is more reliable than USB2? I know one advantage of Ethernet is very long cable can be used like at least a 100 feet
> but that will never happen to me.

I recommend Ethernet over USB because Ethernet will have lower response latency and Ethernet drivers are generally
more robust than USB. You could also connect and obtain status on a second or multiple computers with Ethernet.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak