Re: USB (or Serial) vs Ethernet: Which is better or more reliable?

topboxman

Thanks Ray and Bill.

I will try out Ethernet cables with CP4 and Optec Focus Boss II auto focuser on next moonless nights.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <groups3@...> wrote :

Hi Peter,

> My question is, do you trust Ethernet more than USB2 for controlling CP4 as well as Optec Focus Boss II auto focuser
> hub? I am not interested in high speed transmission because the bandwidth is very low. I have read that more people
> prefer or trust Ethernet than USB2? Does Ethernet have less overhead in protocol than USB2? Do you think Ethernet
> is more reliable than USB2? I know one advantage of Ethernet is very long cable can be used like at least a 100 feet
> but that will never happen to me.

I recommend Ethernet over USB because Ethernet will have lower response latency and Ethernet drivers are generally
more robust than USB. You could also connect and obtain status on a second or multiple computers with Ethernet.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc
Author of PEMPro V3: https://www.ccdware.com
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
> Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2018 11:47 AM
> To: ap-gto@...
> Subject: [ap-gto] USB (or Serial) vs Ethernet: Which is better or more reliable?
>
>
>
> Hello,
>
> Now that Ray Gralak has created a Beta version of A-P V2 ASCOM driver to include Ethernet connection, I am
> wondering whether it's more worthwhile to switch from USB2 to Ethernet?
>
> Currently, I have a powered USB2 hub velcroed to CP4 and use 35 feet USB active extension cable between laptop
> and USB2 hub and the outputs of USB hub connect to the following:
>
> 1) CP4 (1 foot cable)
> 2) Optec Focus Boss II auto focuser hub (1 foot cable)
> 3) QSI 660wsg CCD camera (6 feet cable)
> 4) Ultrastar auto guider (6 foot cable)
>
> This current setup has worked great and so far no issues or disconnection of any kind.
>
>
> If I use Ethernet to control CP4 and Optec Focus Boss II auto focuser hub, I will have to velcro a 5 port Ethernet switch
> to USB hub and use another 35 feet Ethernet cable in between laptop and Ethernet switch. I have personally tested
> latest A-P V2 ASCOM driver with Ethernet and Ethernet switch and works very well.
>
>
> My question is, do you trust Ethernet more than USB2 for controlling CP4 as well as Optec Focus Boss II auto focuser
> hub? I am not interested in high speed transmission because the bandwidth is very low. I have read that more people
> prefer or trust Ethernet than USB2? Does Ethernet have less overhead in protocol than USB2? Do you think Ethernet
> is more reliable than USB2? I know one advantage of Ethernet is very long cable can be used like at least a 100 feet
> but that will never happen to me.
>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter
>
>
>

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.