Re: Ap1200 / TheSkyX jog runaway

Roland Christen

The way the mount is controlled, an application (SkyX) sends a "Move" command and then a "Quit-Move" command to stop the move when you let go of the button. If the "Quit-Move" is not sent, or gets lost because of bad connection from your computer to mount, then the mount will continue to move as instructed. You might check your USB cable for bad connection.

From: Mike Dodd mike@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Wed, Aug 29, 2018 9:32 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Ap1200 / TheSkyX jog runaway

I'm not sure if I should ask here or in the Bisque support forum, but
I'll try here first.

Tonight I'm running some autoguider tests with my AP1200 connected to
TheSkyX via ASCOM.

I slewed to a star in TSX, but it wasn't centered, so I used the Jog
controls in TSX to center it. I first jogged right 10 arcmin, but when
the star was no longer in the finder scope, I tried to Job left 30
arcmin. TSX told me to wait until the previous job completed.

That's when I noticed the scope was still moving westward, and had
crossed the meridian to a CW-up orientation. I canceled the jog and
slewed back to the star, and jogged left. It looked like the scope moved
eastward, but then began moving slowly westward. I canceled again, and
slewed back to the star. I tried a third jog with the same resut.

I gave up, and centered the star with the GTO keypad, then did a Recal
in TheSkyX.

After each slew completed, the AP1200 behaved normally.

This is the first time I've seen a jog run away. Does anyone have any
idea what happened, and how to prevent it?

Thanks.

-- Mike

Mike Dodd
http://astronomy.mdodd.com