Re: 1100GTO not holding polar alignment

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Those knobs are hopeless. Even greasing them they're still very tough to tighten enough to really hold still with a big load on top.

Stuart

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 20:06, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

On my HD tripod I replaced the Losmandy knobs with Losmandy levers. Made a huge difference.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 12:45 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 1100GTO not holding polar alignment

Thanks I will give a thorough examination to the Losmandy tripod and see is anything is moving. I'm always on pavement but usually extending one or two legs slightly to level the mount. The camera when attached to the Hyperstar is very stable I never have issues there. I'm still not sure if the RAPAS is aligned correctly. I've used the Polemaster a couple times and it's usually where it's aligned now. I wonder if it may be better to do the daytime flagpole alignment. I centered it on Polaris and when I moved the mount to Park 1 position Polaris moved off center slightly.

Joe

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 2:35 AM, 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Joe,

    One other check – the Losmandy HD tripod head has “L-shaped slots“ for the  LT2APM adapter’s three mount attachment screws. Make sure that you give the seated mount a hard twist to lock it in,  after you drop it into the tripod, so that the three screws have slid to their extreme horizontal positions inside the three horizontal slot sections – and are not just sitting right under the insertion drop-in point (i.e. the vertical slot). Otherwise, the mount could shift up & down on one side, with slight changes in weight distribution during slews.

    If you haven’t done so, buy a set of those Losmandy Tripod Knobs (AP # LTKS) for the pier – they have a wider diameter grip surface onto the HD slot holes than AP’s screw heads, easier to tighten in the field, even with an Allan wrench (in later versions), if needed,   than the usual AP mount’s base screws which required a much thinner Allen wrench.

    When I used my AP-900,  carrying it to a field portable setup each time, setup was so much easier and quicker, if I left those three LTKS knobs “well-loosened”,  but still attached to the LT2APM. Didn’t need to keep threading in these tripod knobs every time - or worse, losing those original small AP mount base ring screws that they replaced.

Joe Z.