Re: Things that customers do that drive me nuts on CN

Ron Kramer

If this group was easier to use, easier to read, didn't repeat everything over and over and over and over... included attachments.  People wouldn't need places like cloudynights.
Forums are VERY EASY to install in your website. Most are free.  Very easy to install. I believe nexdome (who are not web savvy) just installed one from wordpress.
With AP's reputation of being the best of the best in everything they do, I'm surprised you settle for this yahoo group crap.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 12:50 PM stephenjwinston@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks Ray - really looking forward to your interpretation of the logs.

Let me know if you need any additional data - I still have the ascom logs from my previous nights testing / older PHD2 logs.  I didn't include them in the zip as they are not relevant to the PHD log I gave you.

And at the risk of beating a dead horse :), I think the problem breaks down into two parts:

1 : What triggers the DEC excursion in the first place.
Based on all the great info from Roland & Co, this can likely be eliminated by using more reasonable MinMove settings.

2 : Why the excursion spikes and then takes so long to be corrected (usually 15-30 seconds)
My interpretation of the graph (several corrective pulses over multiple seconds with no response, followed by a sudden swing and over correction) is that it looks like stiction.  As the full swing happens over such a long time period (30+ seconds), I don't think it can be described as a "fast" oscillation.  But I could be wrong - maybe I just need to re-calibrate my definition of fast :).

My concern is that I may be able to avoid this issue with less aggressive MinMove settings using my current short-focal length / large imaging scale set-up (which is pretty forgiving).  But when I switch to a more demanding / longer focal length set-up the issue may return.

So, I'd really like to understand both parts of the problem - the initial trigger and the mounts (lack of) response to corrective pulses.

Steve