Re: Things that customers do that drive me nuts on CN

Roland Christen

And this is where the PHD's recommendation greatly differs.  It is much more aggressive.  In my case it recommended a 0.20 px (0.6 arc seconds) MinMove with a reported peak DEC error of 3.71 arc seconds.
That peak error may be +- error or Peak to Peak. If that's the case, divide it by 2 to get the peak error. Then multiply it by 0.6  to get 1.1 arc sec or 0.37 pixels (or multiply by 0.8 to get 0.5 pixel MinMove).

From: stephenjwinston@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 11:23 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Things that customers do that drive me nuts on CN

>That is why I recommend using a short unguided Dec graph to determine the actual atmospheric motion peak value.

Yep.  And that is exactly what PHD2 Guiding Assistant is doing (measuring seeing with DEC guiding disabled).

>Then set the MinMove to between 60 and 80% of that value.

And this is where the PHD's recommendation greatly differs.  It is much more aggressive.  In my case it recommended a 0.20 px (0.6 arc seconds) MinMove with a reported peak DEC error of 3.71 arc seconds.

Using your 60% rule would put my MinMove at 60% of 3.71 arc-s, or 0.75 px, instead of the 0.20 px PHD recommended.   I would say that 0.75 px is probably too pessimistic and something in the 0.30-0.40 range is probably more reasonable.

>I don't know how much more clear I can make this.
What you are saying is fully understood :).

As I previously mentioned to Bill and Wade, one of the outcomes of this will hopefully to get PHD2 to make more reasonable recommendations based on the Guiding Assistants measurements.