Re: Mach 1 Software

Ron Kramer

I've not gotten that deep into it. I'm still trying to work out kinks. The manual (being a translation from French is less than detailed). But the program keeps forcing me to come back and work with it again.  I run APCC in the background. I have PemPro but have not really had a chance to use it after a couple of failed attempts.   I settled for ascoms  "record PEC" and playback and I see the sine wave is gone from my guiding. I've been living with that as I've been dealing with other issues.  (Dome rotator and shutter firmware updates and working with the author on that) Finally working well. I sold a 127mm and replaced with 152mm scope and now dealing with trying to land an adapter to install a FT and EF to the new tube.  Wrong one set, new one on the way - I may be up again after months of down time next week.

Prism is freaking amazing.  But I don't have it under control yet. I've reverted back to SGP for real imaging - until I get Prism fully working.  For many it may work out of the gate, I have a... complex? setup in that I'm fully remote and Still have some kinks (some issues with dome graphic and mount graphic displaying properly with poth, which I had to add for a dome hub).  If I use a virtual com port on APCC for the dome com port (will it hub a 2nd connection?).

I then have issues with the lodestar X2 connection.  It works, but I get a interlaced image each star as 2 points. (others do not have this issue) and I don't have the interlaced image with this camera and driver in PHD2.  ???!!!

What keeps me from tossing it aside is I have 60 more days of trial and the I have working is amazing.  Once the scope is setup with focuser I can delve into focusing features and Hamzat said he'd timeview into my setup and 
check my PRism configuration.  I WANT TO USE IT.  But time will tell. 

On the other hand I love WWT for goto's.  No other program shows actual full sky surveys.  I wanted to do some test the other day and IC5070 is just below my tree line.  Using WWT I could see other areas of interest above the tree line and did some sweet image of the outer fringes that I felt were more interesting than the Pelican itself.  Only because in WWT I could see them and click on the spot and the mach1 nailed it. (as it always does). I've found no need for a pointing model. HOWEVER I am now only at 1210 fl and that may be very different for those in the 2000+ focal length area. 

Biggest problem with Prism is (few if anyone use it in the U.S.) so it's hard to get experienced help.  From what I've heard it's extremely popular in Europe. In use for over 10 years. 

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:09 PM Bill Long bill@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

SkyX doesnt do meridian flips. :( LTI does, but then it doesnt do guiding. 

Thus my APPM journey!

From: ap-gto@... <ap-gto@...> on behalf of 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Monday, July 9, 2018 6:57 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] Mach 1 Software

Hi Ron,

> PRISM it does IT ALL in one program.

I am not so sure about that. TheSkyX software is probably a better example of an "all in one" astronomy program because TheSkyX doesn't even need an ASCOM driver for many mounts, unlike PRISM which I think requires ASCOM mount drivers. Besides, having a monolithic all in one program is not necessarily an advantage because you may be out of luck if a camera or other hardware component you want to buy in the future is not supported.

Also, I think there may be some misleading information in its set of features. For instance, I think that Prism Pro says "PEC" is one of its features. That's "Periodic Error Correction" to most people. However, while I think Prism can measure periodic error, can it upload a PEC curve into an AP mount like PEMPro can? I diddn't see that it could. If all it does is measure PE then I think there are probably better free software applications to analyze periodic error, like my (free) PEMPro Log Analyzer that can analyze PHD2 and PEMPro logs.

And while Prism Pro does pointing correction it doesn't seem to do tracking rate correction like APCC Pro, or TheSkyX's ProTrack.

Ron, please feel free to correct anything above that you believe is wrong.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc
Author of PEMPro V3: https://www.ccdware.com
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
> Sent: Monday, July 9, 2018 8:29 AM
> To: ap-gto@...
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach 1 Software
>
>
>
> Pick up a lot of extension tubes. They're cheap and will be needed to position the camera at the proper distance to
> achieve focus. I have about 8-10 inches of them. (in various sizes).
> Each camera uses a combination of (field flattener, extension tubes... typically adding 4-6 inches of distance in
> addition to the focuser throw. I prefer my focuser more inside and not over extended
> so I use more extension tubes than I really have to. Less tubes means you need to draw the focuser out more
> which (depending on focuser) can add sag or just more stress on the focuser.
>
> Software: SGP with PHD2 and platesolve2 is most cost effective (lowest cost) or course APCC. another option is
> PRISM it does IT ALL in one program. Really is the simplest as it's all in one and configuration is in menu... steps.
> Only drawback is it's 10 years in use in Europe and not heavily used in the U.S. (yet) so getting help is much harder
> than SGP and assorted free tools. (PHD2).
>
> SADDLES: I like ADM and Losmandy stuff. I have a Losmandy plate and two saddles for a side by side dual
> setup. I'm a noob too - I started in this last May. At present I'm waiting months for a ES152mm adapter to mount a
> 3" feather touch on the scope. After a 4 month wait for the feather touch focuser to arrive. Manual focus is NOT
> FUN. Especially when you operate your scope setup from 300 ft away.. =)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 4:06 AM trapman66@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi All,
>
>
>
>
> I will be receiving my mount soon but will be waiting on my OTA for a few months (FSQ106). So I am piecing
> together all the parts that I will be needing in the mean time. I would like to tap the people experienced with using
> the mounts to make sure I am efficient in my spending and am set up for minimal problems:
>
>
>
>
> 1. I am planning on a Rayox saddle. Just making sure it works well with the mount?
>
>
>
>
> 2. The software part is where I get a tad confused. George was super helpful explaining the ASCOM
> requirement for the mount and some of the other items. But where I got a little lost was needing a separate
> software for the camera (MaximDL?) and something to guide through the computer like SkyX. Any input on warts
> those might have or if there is something else recommended as well as any other software. I already have PS and
> am pretty good with using it for my bird photography. Also, what would 'synch' them all up so they work together?
>
>
>
>
> 3. I am getting the camera a little later after I get everything else set up. So I can get the fittings correct and
> the focuser & filer wheel later in the year. I know the sensors I would prefer so I have narrowed the camera down
> quite a bit.
>
>
>
>
> Thanks for helping out a noob.
>
>
>
>
> Jon Swanson
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.