From: stephenjwinston@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 9:46 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Things that customers do that drive me nuts on CN

Hi Bill,

I wanted to come back to the "right" way to use GA to determine the MinMo values, as I agree it is critical that these be set correctly.

Specifically for setting DEC MinMo you wrote:

>Look at Peak DEC error. It gives it to you in both pixels (which you need for PHD MinMo) and Arc-Seconds (which you need to talk to people with).
>Set MinMo to Peak DEC error value GA gave you

I'm not sure if you really meant "peak" here.  ; I've uploaded a screen grab of my calibration run last night.  During GA the measured peak DEC error was 1.25px or 3.71 arc-s.  As the peak error can be affected by any number of sporadic things (sudden spike in seeing, glitch in mount tracking etc), I don't think it provides the right baseline to set DEC MinMo.

The RMS number gives a better measure.   I have seen suggestions to set MinMo to 2x the RMS  which was 0.12 px / 0.36 arc-s for me, so that would have put my DEC MinMo at 0.24 px.  Perhaps the right multiplier needs to be bigger at 3x or even 4x the RMS.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Bruce already agreed that the current MinMo recommendations can be too optimistic/aggressive.  Having PHD2 come up with more realistic recommendations will help (especially beginners) get off to a good start.

Steve