Re: AP Keypad, sell it or not?

Roland Christen

When it came time that I wanted to point it, the keypad was unplugged (because the keypad was set to auto initialize and I wanted the computer to do it).
When you initialize the mount with ASCOM driver, you can then hot plug the keypad in and it will come right up by itself in the Main Menu and not demand anything from you. How could it be any easier? The keypad can be set to anything (Yes, NO or EXT), but if you initialize with ASCOM, the keypad will skip all the initialize steps and go directly to the Main Menu. You can plug it in and unplug it at any time in your session without affecting anything.

From: 'Wade Hilmo' y.groups@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Tue, May 15, 2018 3:15 pm
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] AP Keypad, sell it or not?

I was out in the field using my AP1100 this past weekend.

I was imaging and had initialized the mount with the ASCOM driver. On the particular computer I was using, I didn’t have any planetarium software installed. My plan was to use the keypad for ad-hoc pointing tasks. When it came time that I wanted to point it, the keypad was unplugged (because the keypad was set to auto initialize and I wanted the computer to do it). It turned out that it was easier to just connect my phone to the CP4 and connect SkySafari. That gave me a graphical planetarium with the ability to point the mount.

I believe that it’s fully possible to live without the keypad if you have a smartphone with SkySafari or Luminos (but full disclosure: I am not planning on selling my keypad, so that that for what it’s worth).

-Wade