Re: 1200 Coming--Need Advice

Mark D'Ambrosio <markdambrosio@...>

--- In ap-gto@..., "Wilson Beckett" <wwbeckett@e...> wrote:> Hello All,> > I was fortunate to be able to order an AP 1200 mount this year. It > should arrive in the Fall sometime. The folks at Astro-Physics > indicated I should order the appropriate accessories in June.> > My first question is; what height portable pier should I buy? Iwas > thinking 48" or 54". I'm 6ft. tall and would rather lift thingsthan > stoop over.> > I know I will need the DOVELM plate for my C-11 and Tak FS-102scopes > which I now use on a G-11 mount. I hope to upgrade my #1 telescope > before too long, perhaps to an AP155EDF if the gods are smiling. How > much counterweight should I buy? Should I order any other mounting > plate?> > Does this mount come with a polar scope? I can't find mention ofit > on AP's website. A 5x 'integral polar scope' is mentioned as an > accessory on Company Seven's website with no pricing or ordering > information. What's up with the polar scope?> > I would also appreciate any comments about accessory trays, keypad > covers and any other advice.> > Thanks,> > Wilson Beckett Hi Wilson, Was thinking about your questions again today, and I kind of wonderedwhy you went with the 1200GTO as the mount of choice? This would be considerable overkill for all three scopes you havementioned. The 900GTO may have served you better, as the 1200 isalmost twice the size of the 900. Unless you are thinking of futureupgrades of telescopes (Large Mak, Refractor, C-14, etc.) With myApomax 5.2" F-12, the 1200 will be a bit of overkill also, but I amconsidering additional larger scopes in the future, possibly a 10"APMak, or a HTPO 8.2" Apo. Either of these scopes would probably bebetter served on the 1200 In any case though, it is better to beover mounted, than under mounted. The 1200 will handle your scopes,or any combination of with ease.(Tak 102, and 155EDF together) Mark