Re: Weights Configuration

Woody Schlom <woody@...>

Greg,

Another comment on side-by-side configurations.

Yes, getting a side-by-side saddle will also work. But it’s more expensive, adds more weight, and is much more time-consuming to balance.

I have a side-by-side Losmandy “D” saddle system I’ve used for side-by-side solar scopes on my Mach1. I think the side-by-side saddle itself weighs around 12 lbs.

And since you’ll now be balancing in two directions (two axis), initial balancing takes some time – particularly the first time when you don’t know what you’re doing. Once upon a time I think Roland gave step-by-step instructions on this forum on the most efficient way to balance a side-by-side system. I wish I’d had those instructions the first time I balanced mine. It’s much better than my trial-and-error routine.

But so long as you use the same equipment and configuration each time, you can mark the balance points and subsequent setups will go quickly.

But don’t forget the additional weight of the heavy side-by-side saddle. If you’re already close to the weight capacity of your mount, this could put you over.

And of course, once configured side-by-side, you’ll need to re-set your park positions as the side-by-side configuration rotates DEC by 90°.

Woody