Re: Remote Desktop PC access on Ad Hoc Network

Greg Salyer

I totally agree, but don't use version 13. It has better high dpi support but currently lacks many features (like file transfer). It should have been released only as a Beta. They do provide back versions. Get version 12. Also, to avoid disconnects you must "accept" "Incoming LAN connections" under Extras/Options/General. Teamviewer also allows control from an iPhone or iPad (and I suspect Android as well).

Greg

PS: I also like and use Radmin

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 5:38 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Remote Desktop PC access on Ad Hoc Network

Hi Micah,

While Microsoft’s “Remote Desktop” is OK when starting out ... consider using a free (for non-commercial users) copy of TEAMVIEWER.

The big advantage of the latter, besides not needing a PRO version of Windows on each computer – is that BOTH PC screens & mice  remain LIVE – you can operate the mount or control your imaging program,  from indoors or outdoors. The outdoor PC does NOT logout and its screen  doesn’t go black, when you go indoors, and you don’t have to login again, on either side, as you do in “MS Remote Desktop”. You can also have friends login, or login from other computers in the house,  into your outdoor remote scope computer, to share the experience, even using their own mouse, if you let them participate fully.

It is far more convenient, with added benefits like File Transfer – in both directions.

There are of course other (subscription based) remote control programs.

– Microsoft has always been a rather chincy,  “bare bones” Remote,  and forces you to install a more expensive Windows OS. Also, you can’t operate your scope computer for a “show-n-tell”,  with that  MS version,  from anywhere else, like a friend’s place, unless they also have the PRO version installed.

Joe Z.

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.