From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2018 9:49 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] APPM and Pinpoint

I am using APCC Pro (version 1.6.0.3) and have been using Pinpoint v6 as the plate solver for APPM.  This has been working reasonably well for me with the GSC 1.1 catalog.  Still, I do get some occasional plate solve failures, perhaps about 5% of the time.  I have had it on my "to do" list for a while to switch to the USNO A2.0 catalog, and today is the day that I'm playing with it.

The problem that I am having is that APPM's Image Link Test fails all attempts at solving with this catalog.

Prior to testing with APPM, I worked with Visual Pinpoint to verify that the catalog works correctly.  It is able to solve my test images in about 5 to 6 seconds.  To get it working efficiently, I needed to tune the Min Sigma and Max Magnitude settings in Visual Pinpoint.

< p>I have matched these settings in the Sigma Above Mean and Catalog Max Mag settings in APPM.  I have also verified that the coordinates and image scale from the FITS headers are correct when Image Link Test reports them.

The issue is that Image Link Test times out nearly 100% of the time on my test images.  I bumped the Max Solve Time up to 120 seconds and it still times out.  I have seen a couple of tests fail at about the 90 second point with an error that no stars were matched.

Is there any way to get either a more complete error message, or enable logging to get more details as to the progress of the attempt?  In particular, Visual Pinpoint reports the number of image stars detected and the number of catalog stars found on both failed and successful solves.  This would be very valuable information in troubleshooting this.

I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks,

-Wade