Re: INDI AP driver

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

The future you are projecting with cross-platform ASCOM would be very welcome as I always like to have multiple options.

And it isn't too hard to write code to support multiple platforms - Cartes du Ciel does this already for example.

PHD2 is another example.

But since this promised ASCOM doesn't exist yet it really doesn't answer the requirements people have until this happens.

People have been waiting for a better part of a decade actually.

So for those people there is a valid alternative and we are all working on making it better.

You should be careful throwing out unsubstantiated comments like "almost every ASCOM driver is considerably more mature".

Based on what criteria or testing?   I don't know we can make any claims of that nature without considerable work to back it up.

I also think the idea of having every ASCOM driver migrated to a new platform is more non-trivial than you are making it sound.

And why would you have to rewrite an entire application to use INDI?

Any properly written application will abstract these methods to minimize the impact of the actual implementation.

The best I can tell what you are trying to say is "If I have a decade invested in a code base that using Windows/ASCOM it would be best for me if everyone continues using Windows/ASCOM".

Michael Fulbright

On 2/21/2018 8:45 AM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Hi Chris,

> > The real question is this... how many people are not going to purchase
an
> >A-P mount because A-P doesn't provide in-house INDI drivers?
> > (I may be wrong, but I think that number is really low.)
>
> So I guess that Software Bisque, 10-Micron and a few others are
frantically
> building turnkey Linux solutions for their mounts because they are just
> silly, foolish people?

There's a subtle difference here that I think some are missing:

I said "INDI drivers", not LINUX!!!

I think LINUX should be targeted, but the question is INDI or a future ASCOM
cross platform API.

The primary amateur Astronomy market has been developed with ASCOM for a
long time. And because the ASCOM platform developers chose .Net for the
client library interfaces, most Astronomy based Windows applications have
been developed with .Net for the last decade. I think it would significantly
increasing the chances that .Net/ASCOM developers would bring their Windows
apps cross platform if they could use a framework like Xamarin with a cross
platform ASCOM API. The advantage of this solution is that they wouldn't
have to rewrite their entire application.

Logically, if the same API calls (ASCOM) are used then I think those
applications would require less rewriting and debugging of logic than if the
applications were rewritten to use the INDI API.

Plus, almost every ASCOM driver is considerably more mature than its
equivalent INDI driver. I think that porting the ASCOM drivers cross
platform would bring a lot of maturity that the INDI driver's will not be
able to match for years. To me, that is not an insignificant detail.

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center):
http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/ap
cc