Re: INDI AP driver

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

I think we need to clarify what we mean by "support".

I really don't see AP writing and supporting an INDI driver or non-Windows software for controlling their mounts.

Their software resources seem limited and stretched as it is so that would simply be a poor strategic decision to divert resources to a smaller market.

But there are ways a company can be friendly to community efforts using their hardware that can go long ways.

That is the form of support I think is reasonable to expect.

I will repeat my experience has been very positive working with AP.

Michael

On 2/18/2018 10:01 PM, Mike C mike@... [ap-gto] wrote:

> Linux is a legitimate platform, and I do not see why companies would want to shy away from supporting users of it.

Focusing effort on linux would help 2.3 out of every 100 users according to most recent market share numbers I have seen.
It is smart to develop software where the vast majority of people will benefit from, and buy.

I use linux every day, but not in the observatory.

Mike

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Hemant Hariyani hemanthariyani@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Ray,

Digressing a bit from INDI and admitting that I have not used INDI much.

I have a need to control a remote observatory. What I am working on (very slowly though) is to run the front end (The SkyX professional, mobile app etc)n on the home computer or phone/tablet and have every device in my observatory, including AP 1600 GTO appear as local devices on the home computer and have these device interfaces communicate over network with a backend server running on the observatory host machine. This server is right now Windows only because I am limited by driver availability. Ultimately, this will be a linux virtual machine - may be even a beaglebone or a Pi.

APCC on linux with CLI and TCP socket or REST API would be a great solution but I do not know if something like this is planned or not. Do you see this being possible in near future?

I am happy to volunteer for any Linux based development.

I guess the advantage of Linux is getting access to services using lightweight command line network access like ssh. We do not necessarily need UI. I would presume that stability and network bandwidth would be much better this way.

Regards
Hemant

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:28 AM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Resending this... I guess Yahoo is stalling posts again??

OK, so the count so far is:

1 is using INDI regularly.
1 has used it, but is waiting for better support.
2 will be using it soon.
5 want to use it .

Anyone else?

So, besides people hating Windows for various reasons, what problem(s) do people believe are solved by using INDI (and LINUX in general)?

-Ray Gralak