Re: INDI AP driver

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

You are asking two separate questions.

1) "Why use INDI at all?"

2) "Why would a technically challenged person what to use INDI over ASCOM/Windows?"

I would suggest for #2 that there is no compelling reason if they get ASCOM/Windows working with their hardware and are able to afford the associated software required.

There are several reasons for #1 - just a few:

- cross platform support - Mac and Linux users are people too :)
- client/server architecture
- vendor independence for hardware support that is subscription free
- free software, as in free beer, as well as freedom for the user to work on or have someone else work on software and distribute changes

None of these really apply to ASCOM.

I think it would also be short-sighted to underestimate the large groundswell of animosity towards Windows and Microsoft and the desire for many users to get away from it.   I think the lack of Windows 10 uptake is a good indicator.  It has been over two years since it was released and it is only now reaching the same number of active machines as Windows 7.

But really the question should not be so much WHY people are wanting to use INDI as much as ARE people wanting to use it and if so what can AP do to assist their customers.

Michael Fulbright

On 2/18/2018 4:35 PM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Hi Bill,

Resending again...

> I don't hate Windows. I want to run my rig on a raspberry pi 3, and prefer the client
> server model of INDI.

The AP V2 ASCOM driver is an out of process local server, thus it provides a true client/server model.

That said, what problem does running on a raspberry Pi 3, or INDI client/server model solve for you that can't be done on a Windows/ASCOM platform?

BTW, I have nothing against LINUX. I have years of experience developing software on LINUX, but I haven't seen a good argument for INDI except that ASCOM doesn't work on LINUX.

ASCOM is far more mature, far better support, far better device selection, and client software available. I can see that technical types want to roll their own code but what does INDI+LINUX provide that is more compelling than ASCOM to the average non-technical user?

-Ray Gralak