From: 'Wade Hilmo' y.groups@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Thu, Feb 1, 2018 5:44 pm
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] Guiding AP mounts with PHD

I am curious about this result, especially the part at the end where you say
that 1 second exposures worked well, but longer exposures "became more and
more sluggish and less accurate".

It's my understanding that the mount is going to track well, assuming that
PEM is programmed correctly and enabled, and that guiding should basically
be correcting any drift due to slight polar misalignment, refraction,
flexure, etc. If my understanding is correct, it would seem that longer
exposures (within reason) would be just as effective as shorter exposures -
perhaps more effective, since longer exposures would tend to average out
seeing distortion in the individual guider subs. If you were getting better
results at 1 second, that would suggest that you were chasing seeing with
some success.

Do you understand why it worked the way that it did for you? Was it
correcting for slower seeing effects? Is there some other reason?

Thanks,

-Wade