Re: Last Step after replacing L chip to V chip

Michael Turner

At 08:25 AM 1/31/2018, you wrote:

Hi Dave,

I bought it from Amazon but unfortunately it's no longer available. The shortest I've found so far is 3 ft like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Chipset-CableCreation-Converter-Windows/dp/B0758B6MK6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1517411868&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+serial&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-Premium-Adapter-Supports/dp/B01MCZM6OM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1517411868&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=ftdi%2Busb%2Bto%2Bserial&th=1

or an alternative like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-Premium-Adapter-Supports/dp/B00BUZ0K68/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1517411868&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+serial&psc=1

You can get the shortest USB extension cable and connect to this adapter and CPX box.

If you want one foot like mine, try to do a search at Amazon.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

Peter,

Where did you get that short serial to USB cable for your focus controller?

Dave

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 11:24 AM, pnagy@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@... > wrote:

George,

If Mike's goal is to connect USB-to-Serial adapter directly to serial port of CPX box, he will have difficulty doing that with your adapter, that's all. I was trying to make sure Mike is aware of this. I was not putting off any brands including yours. He will need to get a 9-pin serial cable extension to connect in between your adapter and CPX box for this to work. I know new A-P mounts come with 15 feet serial cable extension but it may be too long for him as well for me. Pretty much most, if not all, FTDI chipped USB-to-Serial adapters use the same exact drivers directly from FTDI.

Here is how I connect my USB-to-Serial adapter to CP3 box at:

https://peternagy.smugmug.com/ Telescopes/Current-Equipment/ i-tvFFhk3/A

Click on "right arrow" at right side to see more pictures. This one uses one foot long cable and connects directly to CP3 box and USB hub. Yes, this adapter contains FTDI chip.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

Peter,

One of the big advantages of using the USB to serial adapter that we sell is that it was designed by the same people who write the FTDI software.  It was originally designed by them so that they could develop their software specifically for it…to use it in their laboratory aand for testing.  Why put off brand parts on a Rolls Royce?

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.