Re: Can't access GTOCP4 again ?

john

Hi,

Glad to hear you're at least getting some results to work with.  Maybe try the CP4 isolated, then turn on just one item--if no trouble, turn the first item off and fire up the next---it's possible one item is either competing with the CP4 or is faulty, spewing junk in addition to the intended signal.  As was mentioned, various devices will have varying sensitivities to signal conditions.....some may demand perfect signal clarity, others couldn't care less if there's a drop-out or garble.  I don't know where the CP4 falls in that range.

It will likely be revealing to have a second CP4 in hand if my suggestion doesn't reveal an offender.

By the way, if you do find an offender, you can try the old trick of physically rearranging your gear.....without some truly cumbersome equipment, it's almost impossible to determine the precise field strengths and qualities in the dome.  Also, once stuff crashes during tests, don't forget to reset, as some stuff may be getting garbled......My STX camera LAN is like that--if the connection drops in a certain way, the camera comms lock up--camera has to be rebooted.

in any case, you're now getting some data

party-on

John

___________________________________

On 1/8/2018 2:25 PM, Ron Kramer ronkramer1957@... [ap-gto] wrote:
update: - another full day or testing.  It worked in the house, then it worked back in the dome.  I turned on things and it stopped.  I turned off all things and it still didn't work.  I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I think it's just not capable for my needs. Which is disappointing since I know a 199. sky-fi will work as does all my other wifi gear.
So I'm throwing in the towel.  I installed Stellarium scope,  instead of using the ipad for goto with SS6 - I'll use Stellarium for "gotos".  I expected to much I guess.  Anyway solution found.  = )

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 1:07 PM, 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@yahoogroups..com> wrote:

Hi Ron,

    So glad your new tests results are beginning to look promising, in discovering the actual cause. As you are getting warmer (pun intended), might want to delay the loaner shipping hassle for a couple of days, until you pound that final nail into the problem.

    Since you might be suspicious of temperature affecting the extender, you may be onto something there.
In winter,  the outdoor (and thus the dome) ambient “relative humidity” skyrockets, almost as high every day,  as on a rainy day in summer. Much worse, the considerably higher regional moisture with the temperature way down below freezing, and you have a potential for icy condensation (frost) on & inside, everything.

    The CP4 is fairly well sealed, except perhaps for tiny orifices (like the RJ-11). Your extender might not be.  Perhaps some of its electronics gets damp from cold & warm cycles, due to warmer days, or its own self heating from its electronics. Its PCB might be getting a regular shower inside. Try finding some way of keeping it drier out there,  in the dome,  during the winter months. If it is large – (like my ASUS Repeater was) - wrapping it in a Zip-lock oven roast or a tied grocery bag, should localize its own atmosphere (humidity) until spring, and won’t affect wireless reception. Or, keep a dome dehumidifier operating during winter, to keep everything else dry as well.

****
    I’m wondering, though, why you have the WiFi extender “inside the dome”.
If it is talking wirelessly, to the house router, seems quite far away from the router in the house whose “bi-directional” signal traffic,  it is trying to boost. If it is a wireless link, it is trying to “pull in” a distant weak signal, than “relaying it”,  from a halfway point...
Unless, of course,  the extender is using the AC power mains as a relay path –  a much more reliable approach, but only for 2G signals, than their being connected wirelessly. Of course, both the indoors router and outdoors dome have to be  powered/fused on the same side of the house mains 220/110 AC fuse box, for the power line comms link to work with the router.

****
    As for “simple wireless devices” seemingly  working better than sophisticated program logic driven devices like a CP4, maybe their basic firmware cares little about dropouts and just keeps sending out the next video frame, etc. There may be far more signal quality checking, in the iPOD & CP4, initiating spurts of “frequency hopping, testing, and reconnecting”,  at the very slightest signal glitch, like 2G/5G local wireless traffic mixing & loss of signal lock - in some devices.

    That is one HUGE reason why I soon changed from connecting remotely to my backyard scope laptop using a TeamViewer “User ID number” – to simply  using the local laptop’s IP address instead - (TV accepts, either one) – Local IP lock is more reliable than an ISP modem’s worldwide route. I could actually watch the remote link being interrupted by marginal ISP cable modem signals to their Internet broadband pipeline, dropping out and perhaps occasionally frequency hopping,  reinitializing the home cable modem-router link. It is a long way for the wireless TeamViewer comms to travel between the two PC’s - via the Internet link,  than directly, for the few hundred feet between router and extender.

    So, in any case, the iPOD or CP4 may be constantly trying to find a “better quality signal route” ... at the margins. Dumb cameras etc.  are more patient or less caring, don’t even try, just wait for even a few retries, for signal links to improve.

Anyway, Ron, congrats.   Glad you are getting closer to finding the cause of your particular problem.
Joe