Re: Can't access GTOCP4 again ?

john

Hi,

John Collins here-Eugene, Oregon.  I've been following this thread for a while-if my following suggestions are redundant, I apologize--I may have missed a few details in this long thread. Since you never, ever, get angry, I'll proceed:

First, you're angry -- calm down.  I know I make some of my most profound mistakes while I'm angry or frustrated, and I've handled these sorts of issues for a living.  Nothing is more frustrating than what you are describing.

Next, you are condemning the CP4 without all the facts.  The CP4 as a product is obviously able to perform--others are running on wifi.  You may have the same bill-of-materials as some others, but there is something about your installation that is unique--maybe your CP4 is broken, but more likely you have made some sort of fundamental error or there is some physical attribute in your observatory that is causing trouble.

I haven't found mention in the thread of your shutting down all the other wifi gear (isolate the CP4), reverting to CP4 factory defaults and starting over.  The intermittent nature of your problem (sees/doesn't see networks, etc) suggests a signal problem of some sort.  The wrong password error may not be relevant just like 90% of PC error messages....it may not see the right pw, but it may not be because of an entry error.....maybe BER?

One possibility:  While your survey and channel checks address some of a potential problem, they are not comprehensive; your survey seems to assume a stable, homogenous field of signal...in fact it is anything but homogenous-there will be peaks and nulls and they will change as you move around the room.  Ever pulled your car up to a stop sign and the FM radio goes dead...move 3 feet and it comes back?  Ever walk around your grandparents' TV on rabbit ears and have the picture come and go?  Your signal will be totally unrelated to anyone else's.....fortunately these LAN things work under most circumstances.  Your wifi survey in the observatory was likely done in a position that was apart from the CP4 antenna, thus your results don't directly relate to the CP4.

Since you may not have an arsenal of RF lab equipment, you could try a few experiments after reverting to factory defaults and configuring from scratch:  set up your CP4 in a different part of the room...away from the mount, antenna in free airspace (aka in the open, away from metal objects)--does it behave differently? What about outside the observatory...same/different?

I had a terrible time getting my CP4 up and running, not because it was faulty, rather it is different.  I made every error in the book including going off on hours-long pursuits without reverting to defaults......while I am not 100% positive, resetting my network router seemed to help, as it reacquired all the devices.

On the other hand, it could be something else--it just sounds like you've tried most/all that......The one area I feel comfortable speaking for the Astro Physics company is this:  they will climb mountains to help you and they stand behind their products....but they can't help if you don't join in.  So before you bury the CP4 in some undisclosed grave site, gather the info and give them a call.

good luck

John

On 1/7/2018 11:31 AM, Ron Kramer ronkramer1957@... [ap-gto] wrote:

(no one listens here)

I rest my case.  SO DO I as described..  In fact, Howard uses Team viewer to log into the dedicated computer in my obsey - while I'm in the house (in the warm - 300ft from Obsy) connected to same computer via remote desktop.
I can do this miles away on my ipad as well.  (I'm not dazzled or in awe.)

But here's the clincher.  I'm connecting to remote desktop to a dedicated PC that is on my network. (wifi).  I am watching a live video feed also on my network (wifi.)  I switch power on and off in the obsy to each device using my network (wifi.)
When present in the dome, I watch spectrum cable tv streaming from my network (wifi).  I bought the Mach1 with CP4 due to it's (wifi) feature.  It can't connected, it can't find, it can't be controlled via wifi.
Most of the time it can't find any of 8-10 networks in the area. When it can it can't connect to any of them because it says the PW is probably not correct.  All my other gear in the obsey is WAITING FOR TEH MOUNT TO DO WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED TO DO.
Being a programmer, computer user since 1980 - I'm well aware of the pitfalls of wifi.  I'm also aware of the power and success's of wifi.  My 4 home machines are connected via wifi.    I understand your point "wifi isn't perfect".
But the problem here is I purchased a mount with WIFI.  If that's not the case I would accept a full refund for its return.

People on here assume they are so far above people asking for help.  I don't know why.  I have the same seupt you're bragging about.  More than 10 feet isn't dangerous for me because I have a live camera in the obsy.
Yes it's wifi and HD and always works on my home network.  I can tell you what you aren't doing. You aren't controlling GOTO using Sky Safari 6 pro over your network. (which I purchased a ipad mini and skysafari pro to do.
At least not if you're not using wifi.  DISSING - wifi would be fine if it was a third party add on device. But it's part of the CP4.  One of the factors for buying a Mach one instead of a competing brand.

There are possibilities. But they've been debunked.

1. At times it lists my networks - other times not.  At times it lists my neighbor's network and other times not.  At times it doesn't even LIST ITSELF.
2. At times it shows my network (with STRONG SIGNAL) other times it says "???".  Even so - it won't connect to other networks that have a strong signal.. It will not connect to my iphone hosting.
3. No matter what network I chose, if it lists any at all. I will not accept the password. (it is correct).  Even though it says it's a good -dmb signal.
4. I surveyed all WIFI in my area and defined channels used. I moved my channels out of their spill zone.  It's clean
5. I monitored my wifi at the obsy and found it to be stable. - I have 4 other devices all on wifi (same) and all working flawlessly 24/7. SURELY they might hiccup, but I don't notice as they simply rejoin.
6. the built in software sucks. There is no trace log?  no steps displayed during progression.  I can't even see my own password to know it's correct.  (it's a mount it's not my investment accounts!)
*7. I don't care WHAT YOU CAN DO - I want what I paid for to work.   This is the problem with this group.  My bad if this is a AP chat group, I assumed it was AP support. I will refrain and limit access to email direct to support from now on.*
8. So far I have not had great guiding (much better than my NEQ6). I have had it report a massive PE that people tell me is out of spec for the mount... I have non exsistent Wifi which is touted as a CP4 feature.  - not pleased.

I am a person who NEVER gets angry... NEVER - but this group has gotten me awfully damn close.  Please do not reply until you have a support/SOLUTION.
*
*
*
*

Hi Ron,

No one seems to listen here. (Ethernet 300 ft will not allow my IPAD
to connect to the mount to control it!)
Many people are listening and responding. I just don't think you are aware of all the possibilities. For instance, I use my iPad remotely without using wi-fi on the mount at all.

In my house I use a remote desktop app ("Jump") on my iPad to connect through my home network to the dedicated computer controlling my mount.. The dedicated computer is on a wired Ethernet connection and is about 100 feet away from my router. Once connected to the remote computer via my iPad I can control the mount via APCC, the driver, or a planetarium program.

BTW, none of this precludes using your iPad near the mount via wi-fi once you get a working CP4. When you are 10 feet away from the mount using your iPad you can see what's happening so it's a lot "safer" situation. But as I previously said, I do not think you can get 100% reliability using wi-fi 300 ft away.

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 1:10 PM, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... <mailto:groups3@...> [ap-gto] <ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto@...>> wrote:

Hi Ron,

> No one seems to listen here. (Ethernet 300 ft will not allow my
IPAD
> to connect to the mount to control it!)

Many people are listening and responding. I just don't think you
are aware of all the possibilities. For instance, I use my iPad
remotely without using wi-fi on the mount at all.

In my house I use a remote desktop app ("Jump") on my iPad to
connect through my home network to the dedicated computer
controlling my mount... The dedicated computer is on a wired
Ethernet connection and is about 100 feet away from my router.
Once connected to the remote computer via my iPad I can control
the mount via APCC, the driver, or a planetarium program.

BTW, none of this precludes using your iPad near the mount via
wi-fi once you get a working CP4. When you are 10 feet away from
the mount using your iPad you can see what's happening so it's a
lot "safer" situation. But as I previously said, I do not think
you can get 100% reliability using wi-fi 300 ft away.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center):
http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc
<http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc>

Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver:
http://www.gralak.com/apdriver