Re: Need advice with new Mach1GTO: Polar Alignment and drifting

Bruce Donzanti

Thanks Ron

I see that PHD2 does have a Mac version but I understand what you mean about OSX vs Windows.  Right now I mainly do short exposures like 20-60s - so, more like what is described on Cloudy Nights as EAA and not traditional AP.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Ron Kramer ronkramer1957@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

PHD2 makes drift alignment pretty easy. Not sure if it runs on a mac  (I'm a Mac convert from PC and loved OSX) After 4 years I went back to PC and windows which I really despise in comparison.  But - for VR and ASTRO work - and other applications that require computer interfacing... the PC is needed.  I would make a push into the compute stick or laptop windows machine if you plan to get this seriously. (which with purchase if a Mach1 - I'm sure you are).  OSX is wonderful, but apples concepts and stranglehold on their machines and products is not.  = (    I grew tired of the limitations of interfacing to Apple products. 

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 9:38 AM, 'Wade Hilmo' y.groups@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Take a look at this.  It’s a very good and pretty simple way to do this:

http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/mounts/Drift_Alignment_RA_Correction_Method.pdf

-Wade

Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 5:58 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Need advice with new Mach1GTO: Polar Alignment and drifting

I just bought a Mach1GTO for my de-forked C11" and am still feeling out how the mount works.   I also bought the RAPAS for PA.  The scope is balanced and it is leveled in the E/W direction. 

I did an initial rough PA and then used the RAPAS and the app to complete the fine alignment.  Using my UltraStar camera at f/5,  I did a drift test on Sirius as it was low in the southeastern sky and it remained centered for 5 mins before I noticed any drift.  Then I did the same with Menkar just off the meridian and near the celestial equator and it only stayed centered for about 1 and a half minutes.  I then looked once again on the RAPAS and Polaris seemed spot on compared to the app.  So, I am concluding from this that the RAPAS needs to be realigned as AP suggests could be the case. My question: What is the simplest and best way to do the drift alignment which I have never done? 

I am a Mac user and I am aware that AP highly recommends PemPro which is a Windows program vs. doing the drift alignment manually.  I also realize that the simplest and best ways may not be the same.  I do have an Intel compute stick with Windows 10 if folks think PemPro is the way to go.  

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.