Thank you Rolando. This is very clear.  As Christopher pointed out, I am use to Celestron terminology and procedures which is why I am getting confused despite reading the manual.

Thank you again,
Bruce

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 9:44 AM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Assuming the RAPAS is accurate, what do you do next?
If you are starting out for the first time then pick "New Setup". Manually place your scope in the Park3 position (does not have to be perfect), and press "Start From Park Position 3". This initializes the mount and tells it that your scope is pointed to the North Pole (also known as Park3).

Now go to the Objects Menu, pick a star from the star's list and press GoTo. The mount will slew to that star, but it will probably not be in the center of your scope at this point. You may see it in your finder scope. Now you simply bring the star to the center of your eyepiece via the 4 buttons and press the bottom right hand button to bring up the Recal menu. then press 9 = Recal. Your mount is now pointing accurately in the sky and you can now go to any object that you wish.

If you are permanently mounted, you will not have to do any of this again. Just simply put your keypad in Autostart = YES and every time that you turn on the power the mount will always know exactly where it is pointed. Your keypad will start up automatically and you can simply go to any object in the sky without going thru any startup procedure.

From: Bruce Donzanti donza2735@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>
To: ap-gto <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Sun, Dec 10, 2017 11:01 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: GOTO issue with Mach1GTO

No, Have Polaris in my sights.

Frankly, I am really lost now.  I am balanced and leveled and coordinates and date and time are all entered as location 1.  I did a rough polar align followed by the RAPAS.  Assuming the RAPAS is accurate, what do you do next?  The keypad gives you the choices: 1)Star Sync 2) Polar Alignment 3) Resume last position 4)new setup.  I thought was Star Sync based on the manual.

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 4:31 PM, marfig1970@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Is it possible that you performed polar alignment on the wrong star?

I live in the southern hemisphere and Sigma Octantis is difficult to identify, especially in an area of high light pollution. When I first received my Mach1 it took a little while to make the polar alignment and I was using the wrong star, so my GOTOs were quite wrong and the tracking horrible.

But once I identified Sigma Octantis correctly and performed the polar alignment (and later Sync), it was like magic, the GOTOs were accurate and the tracking perfect.

And if you use SGP and Plate Solving is more "magic", incredibly accurate. SGP and Mach1 seem to be made for each other.

(By the way, I wasn't using RAPAS, I already had a PoleMaster and I used this one).