Re: GOTO issue with Mach1GTO

Bruce Donzanti

Thank you again Christopher.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 3:07 AM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Better to set the hand controller startup Auto-Connect mode to YES instead of NO or EXT.  Then simply do a GOTO to a known star and then a 9=Re-Calibrate, which will be a function you will see when you press the [RA/DEC/REV] button.  In fact if the mount has not been disturbed since it was last used then the 9=Re-Calibrate probably won't be needed.

AP mounts don't need star alignment every time they are turned on.  They remember where they last were when power was cut.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:01 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: GOTO issue with Mach1GTO

No, Have Polaris in my sights.

Frankly, I am really lost now.  I am balanced and leveled and coordinates and date and time are all entered as location 1.  I did a rough polar align followed by the RAPAS.  Assuming the RAPAS is accurate, what do you do next?  The keypad gives you the choices: 1)Star Sync 2) Polar Alignment 3) Resume last position 4)new setup.  I thought was Star Sync based on the manual.

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 4:31 PM, marfig1970@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Is it possible that you performed polar alignment on the wrong star?

I live in the southern hemisphere and Sigma Octantis is difficult to identify, especially in an area of high light pollution. When I first received my Mach1 it took a little while to make the polar alignment and I was using the wrong star, so my GOTOs were quite wrong and the tracking horrible.

But once I identified Sigma Octantis correctly and performed the polar alignment (and later Sync), it was like magic, the GOTOs were accurate and the tracking perfect.

And if you use SGP and Plate Solving is more "magic", incredibly accurate. SGP and Mach1 seem to be made for each other.

(By the way, I wasn't using RAPAS, I already had a PoleMaster and I used this one).