Re: NGC 246 -The Skull Nebula

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Nice one Terry!

Stuart

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 8:47 PM, terry.robison@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

The Skull Nebula is located in the constellation Cetus.  It is a planetary nebula discovered by William Herschel in 1785.  From our vantage point, it has an angular resolution of 3.7 arcmin.   The estimated diameter is about 2.3 light years, and is at a distance of 1,600 light years from our planet.  The listed magnitude of the nebula is around 11th magnitude, so is has a fairly low surface brightness.   Quite often, visual observers can find the foreground stars overpowering.  The central star is fairly bright at 11.8 magnitude.  The eastern limb of the nebula is brighter suggesting that it is interacting with the interstellar medium.

Exposure and equipement details in Flickr.

Wide field image:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97807083@N00/26521553869/in/photostream/

Cropped version:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97807083@N00/38296831051/in/photostream/