Re: strange electrical issue - anyone have any knowledge of what to do.

Roland Christen

Same here. Been using them in my observatory for years without problems.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Fri, Oct 20, 2017 5:51 pm
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] strange electrical issue - anyone have any knowledge of what to do.

I’ve been using Pyramid 12 amp PS and they have always worked great. Not saying there couldn’t be a problem but just a data point. One on the mount and one on the dew heaters.

-Steve

Sent: Friday, October 20, 2017 6:23 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] strange electrical issue - anyone have any knowledge of what to do.

There probably isn't a perfect solution out there.

Only buying quality, brand name equipment helps. As would having a good multimeter in your kit and knowing how to use it.

There are 12V gfci devices out there but I have not researched what might offer simple and meaningful protection for telescopes and small observatories.

Maybe I'll look into that.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Oct 20, 2017 12:12 PM, "'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Chris,

Of course, you are correct – manufacturers would rather save $2 and leave the risk to “probability and statistics”.
I was just wondering what WE can do – invest in some kind of safety device -  for our extremely expensive investment – to protect the electronics from “whatever” is causing a ground fault. That’s without pointing a/the  finger at any specific manufacturer. This problem is just all too common.

Yes, a huge copper (earth ground) stake in the ground is one simple way – but perhaps inconvenient  in portable setups.

Joe

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.