Re: strange electrical issue - anyone have any knowledge of what to do.

Christopher Erickson

Every additional component adds cost and manufacturers have to weigh costs against pricing, competition, sales and profits.

Having a ground fault in Pyramid power supplies should be a rather rare event and shouldn't need special circuitry to detect it.

What is surprising to me is that this easily-detectable problem wasn't caught by Pyramid's manufacturing QC testing before the supply was boxed up and shipped out to distributors.

Astro-Physics is the only astronomy manufacturer I am aware of that uses protective Transorbs on their communications ports, puts their com chips in user-accessible sockets for easy replacement and has worked out a perfect way to instantly save the worm gear and wheel positions to non-volatile memory when power is lost.

Maybe that's part of why we are all so loyal to Roland and Marj.

They have proven time and again to always be so loyal to us.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738