Re: strange electrical issue - anyone have any knowledge of what to do.

Christopher Erickson

Every additional component adds cost and manufacturers have to weigh costs against pricing, competition, sales and profits.

Having a ground fault in Pyramid power supplies should be a rather rare event and shouldn't need special circuitry to detect it.

What is surprising to me is that this easily-detectable problem wasn't caught by Pyramid's manufacturing QC testing before the supply was boxed up and shipped out to distributors.

Astro-Physics is the only astronomy manufacturer I am aware of that uses protective Transorbs on their communications ports, puts their com chips in user-accessible sockets for easy replacement and has worked out a perfect way to instantly save the worm gear and wheel positions to non-volatile memory when power is lost.

Maybe that's part of why we are all so loyal to Roland and Marj.

They have proven time and again to always be so loyal to us.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Friday, October 20, 2017 11:18 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] strange electrical issue - anyone have any knowledge of what to do.

Hi,
    Given that this power supply has happened to at least a couple of members, I wonder if there is a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) switch that could be put on the mains supply – or a different kind on the DC side – that would trip as soon as chassis ground  rises above earth potentials. That should help prevent fried laptops and telescope accessories.

I suppose if that were possible, these power supplies would already have such a rely inside.

Joe

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.