From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:34 PM
To: A-P GOTO Mounts Yahoo Group
Subject: [ap-gto] 12v DC power supply question

Recently somebody (I think it was Roland) suggested that what we want is a
good quality regulated SWITCHING power supply.

Why a SWITCHING PS instead of an old-fashioned transformer PS? I thought
that even though transformers are much much heavier and larger, they were in
general cleaner.

The 12v PS I used to use with my Mach1 and camera was made by Pyramid --
with a very heavy transformer inside. A couple of years ago I put that one
in my mobile observatory -- where it is now. And I bought a second one just
like it for portable use with my Mach1 and camera.

But that "new" PS has a serious problem (I mentioned in another post this
evening). So I bought a new switching PS. I like the new one because it's
so much smaller and lighter and has built-in PP connections. But it has a
"noise adjuster" knob to hopefully minimize noise for HAM radio use. The
fact that it even has such an adjustment tells me there's a problem with
noise in at least this switching PS.

Any comments?

Woody

Yahoo Groups Links