Re: AP V2 ASCOM DRIVER AND ASTROTORTILLA

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Diego,

    The “ADMINISTRATOR mode” gets changed in the “application” either by the user installing it that way on purpose, or by some unknown “installer” default. I used to set this mode myself,  for a lot of my VERY old (XP) programs that were carried forward into Win-10, thinking it might be better or at least “safer”. That’s when the problems began.

    So, right click on EVERY one of your astronomy apps – either the program, or its icon. Then click on PROPERTIES choose the COMPATIBILITY tab ... to see if the “RUN this program as an Administrator” box has been check marked.
I finally did that for my PC apps. Things began to work more reliably when all astro programs were singing from the same Security Mode song sheet.

    If it is check marked -  click on the box “Change settings for ALL users” – and UNCHECK the Administrator option box THERE – so it is covers all run possibilities ... for THAT program.

    Repeat the process for every astronomy related program icon – (and likely some others), but the astro apps are the current problem. There are rare cases when ADMIN mode is actually needed to be set for a program, and then perhaps only once in special circumstances – like AP’s CCDOPS needing it, for just a “single” run,  to permanently change the filter wheel names. That would normally be considered a system security breach by Win-10, so it demands that one-time option. Likewise some special uses of the Win-10 Command Prompt program. .  There may be a few others. But, I have found that the vast majority of apps don’t need this. Also, some VERY old Win-ME  or Win-XP programs need the ADMIN setting, because they were written several decades before there was such security as in Win-10, and thus (some) need it to run now, if they can run at all.

    The introduction of Win-10 really messed things up, with Microsoft’s  “security paranoia”. Things were so much better in XP and even Win-7.

Hope this helps.
Joe