Re: PHD2 & Backlash Compensation

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

CCDSoft had a 3rd party plug-in as Anthony said. I got it to work for quite a while then an upgrade to CCDSoft stopped it working. I think people are forgetting that CCDSoft's telescope and camera control functions were rolled into TheSkyX. There dithering is integrated nicely.

BTW - some mount / guiding combos support calibration not just in time but also in arcseconds.

Stuart

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Anthony Ayiomamitis ayiomami@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Being one of those dinosaurs that still use CCDSoft, I can confirm that indeed it does use seconds for calibration per axis and per direction for each axis.

Anthony.

On 15-Sep-17 22:33, calypte@... [ap-gto] wrote:

In MaxIm (for example) you can specify how many seconds you want the mount to move on each axis while it does the calibration.  There are formulas for calculating an ideal calibration time, but 15-20 seconds should be sufficient in most cases.  You don't want it to run the star off the chip, but you want it to traverse a significant number of pixels.  My recollection is that CCDSoft (obsolete and no longer supported) also allowed you to specify the seconds to move the mount on each axis.  Maybe the "Push Here Dummy" paradigm of PHD2 doesn't allow you to specify the calibration time.  I have to say, I tried the original PHD once, and I couldn't get it to work at all.  After connecting to the mount, I told it to "calibrate" (just one button to push), and nothing happened.  PHD found someone who was too dumb even for "Push Here Dummy."