Re: powertank/battery to travel - mach1GTO

Mark Striebeck

Do you also want to power other equipment (filter wheel, focuser, guider...) from this battery? Or is it just the mount?

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 7:58 AM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Although Lithium batteries are light weight and powerful, they have some disadvantages. Most are not allowed on airplanes. They all require special chargers that are very expensive. A small sealed lead-acid battery for powering wheelchairs is really ideal and can be charged with inexpensive chargers which are available almost anywhere. The 18 amp hour Duracell measures 3" x 6" x7", weighs 12.5 lb and could even be used as a counterweight.

If this is too large, they make smaller ones of around 9 - 10 amp hours capacity which will run a mount for 18 - 20 hours.

From: David phrosty5@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>
To: 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Tue, Sep 12, 2017 9:16 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] powertank/battery to travel - mach1GTO

Camila,

You probably could, but thats really expensive for an 8.8Ah battery.  Look at Bioenno instead.  These have been great for me.  For under $200 you can get a 20Ah LiFePo battery that will last 2000 charge/discharge cycles, and it will literally put out about 90% or more of its rated capacity.   https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/12v-series-lifepo4-batteries/products/12v-20ah-lfp-battery-pvc-blf-1220a

Plus these already are wired with a Powerpole connection that can be hooked directly to AP’s new Powerpole power cables.  This would probably easily last a couple nights out powering a Mach1.
Traveling by plane…100 watt/hour batteries are the limit I believe, and only in carry on luggage.  Probably not a good idea to try and travel by plane with these.

David

On Sep 11, 2017, at 3:42 PM, camilapastorelli@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

 Hi guys,
We are going to buy a Mach1GTO and we would like to get help with some topics:
. Do you think this Goal Zero battery SHERPA 100 POWER PACK handles the mach1cto for a night of work? http://www.goalzero.com/p/207/sherpa-100-power-pack If not, which suggestions do you have?

. Do you know if we could travel by airplane with batteries? (the technical support from Astro-physics said that could be a problem)
Thanks,
Camila