Re: 1600gto dec gears "singing"

Roland Christen

Throw a bit of grease onto the spur gears and see if that helps. Lubriplate works nicely.

From: john astro@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto
Sent: Fri, Aug 18, 2017 4:42 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] 1600gto dec gears "singing"

Hi,

I've just done the prescribed gear mesh adjustments on my 1600GTO mount
which is about 3 years old. After storage and some shipping shakeups,
there was sone backlash. The adjustments worked fine from a backlash
perspective, but my dec axis has developed a metallic singing sound
which I expect is the worm gear resonating(?) maybe.......

Since the ringing only occurs in the final 20 degrees as the scope lays
down into park4, I thought it might be a balance issue, however, as I
apply more or less weight by hand, the sound does not change. I've
obviously adjusted this noise into existence...I'm wondering if this a
known issue and if there is guidance available to an adjustment that
satisfies the backlash needs AND doesn't create unusual noises. In my
limited experience, shrieking and howling gear trains are not a good
thing........

many thanks

John Collins

<*> Your email settings: