Re: 1600gto dec gears "singing"

john

Thanks Howard--I will be in contact on Wednesday.  Happy eclipsing!

John Collins

On 8/18/2017 3:53 PM, Howard howard@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Hi John,

If the sound is coming from the RA axis, I would loosen the gear mesh a tiny amount.  Remember that backlash is NOT an issue in RA, unless it has reached a ridiculous level.  RA is always driven, so the backlash effects from direction reversal don’t come into play.  It is more important to have smooth, effortless operation for good tracking.

If the sound seems to be in declination, we can work on it after the eclipse break.  AP will be closed Monday and Tuesday, but I’ll be back on Wednesday, and George will join me on Thursday or Friday.

Mag. 7 Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.