Re: How Accurate Is the GoTo Feature of APCC for Imaging

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

Reading the Pinpoint marketing speak under "Accuracy" at

http://pinpoint.dc3.com/

It looks like for the one IAU site they reference they routinely get under 2 arc-seconds and around 50% of the time under 1 arc-second.

I see an RMS of fit under 0.5 arc-seconds routinely for my 8 inch f/4 OTA sampling at 1 arcsec/pixel. 

I am not sure that translates into accuracy of fit however.

I'm not sure how else you will (easily) know your position anywhere in the sky to within few arc-seconds other than plate solving.

Michael Fulbright

On 8/11/2017 4:14 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] wrote:

What I'm looking for is a plate solve which tells me exactly where I am pointing. I don't need or want to move the mount there, I just need to know the error at any point in the sky.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Fri, Aug 11, 2017 2:35 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: How Accurate Is the GoTo Feature of APCC for Imaging

I use ANSVR (free), which is the same thing AstroTortilla is, but it integrates in well with the capture software I use (SGP mainly, KStars as well). I can tell SGP that I want my target within 1 pixel of accuracy and it will continue to solve and move the scope until my threshold is met or it will fail. I allow for 10 cycles, but SGP usually has me within 1 pixel of accuracy in 3-4 attempts.

If you havent tried SGP yet, you should give it a whirl. They offer a free 30 day trial. For the price ($99) it's pretty powerful.

From: ap-gto@... gto@...> on behalf of chris1011@... [ap-gto] gto@...>
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 12:14 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: How Accurate Is the GoTo Feature of APCC for Imaging

I use AstroTortilla (AT).  It is a Windows wrapper program around astrometry.net.  ASCOM-compliant and blends nicely with AP V2 driver.  +/- 0.1 arc-minutes
I need a plate solve program that is accurate to 1 arc second or better. Are there any that can do that?

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto gto@...>
Sent: Fri, Aug 11, 2017 2:04 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: How Accurate Is the GoTo Feature of APCC for Imaging

I use AstroTortilla (AT).  It is a Windows wrapper program around astrometry.net.  ASCOM-compliant and blends nicely with AP V2 driver.  +/- 0.1 arc-minutes

Free, allows local installs. Support has been a little sketchy lately, but then it's quite robust and hasn't given me problems anyway.

The install under cygwin works seamlessly...much better than astrometry.net in Linux.  

You CAN do some additional things in astrometry.net, not available in AT.  However, once installed, you can run native astrometry.net locally, using cygwin.  

For plate solving, I find AstroTortilla quite adequate.  As long as you don't want plots of the soluti on, a pass takes less than 15 seconds and two passes are almost always sufficient.  This is for a 3 GHz, i5 CPU with SSD and 8 GB RAM on Win 10.

I have used it to do imaging of the same object on multiple nights with excellent stacking of the sub-frames.

AT integrates well with BYEOS, APT, Maxim DL, and any ASCOM imaging camera for automated plate solves You can also do manual plate solves with little excess time required for other imaging packages, e.g. ImagesPlus.

Bryan

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

Which plate solve do you like best?

Rolando

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.