Re: AP900 CP2 Issue

Roland Christen

Through it all, I paid attention to the CP2's LED indicator light. I didn't at first, but on the first test I saw it glowing a bright yellow. In the subsequent tests, the LED was barely visibly red at power up, then would turn yellow (didn't seem as bright as the first time I noticed it) when the issue manifests.
Ok, a yellow LED indicates a motor stall condition, or a motor error of some kind, which could indicate a problem with one of the encoders. It could also be a loose wire inside the Y cable. Any of these conditions will turn on the yellow LED to indicate a problem with the motor circuit. Loss of encoder feedback can cause the motor to run rapidly for a few seconds before the CP2 cuts power.

You bought this used, did the previous owner indicate that the mount was fully functional?

Here is how you can test whether one of the two motors or encoders might be non-functional. Plug the short part of the Y cable into the RA motor box. Turn power on and push the E-W buttons at 600x (do not push N-S buttons). If the motor slews properly, then it is good, and your R.A. Y cable connection is also good.
Now plug the short end of the Y cable into the Dec motor box. Turn power on and push the E-W buttons at 600x. Again, if the motor slews properly, then that motor circuit is also functioning correctly.

If the above tests pan out, then you may have a break in the Dec portion of the Y cable. If the Yellow light comes on in any of the above tests, then you may have a break in the RA portion of the Y cable.

Try this first and see what happens. Best to call George here during the day and he can walk you thru any further tests. In any case, the mount is modular, and we can repair any portion without you having to send the entire mount in.

Roland Christen

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Tue, Aug 8, 2017 8:18 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP900 CP2 Issue

So, update. I tried the following steps. The problem still happening:

1. I unplugged the power connector from the CP2 controller and spread the connector.
2. I reseated the car-style plug into the power supply.
3. I noticed the CP2's power cable looked a little worn - there was electric tape near where the cable plugs into the controller (bought AP900 used). I swapped it out for the power cable from my AP1200 CP3.
4. I spread the power connector in the CP2 controller until it was visibly spread and the cable plugged in with a little more effort.

Through it all, I paid attention to the CP2's LED indicator light. I didn't at first, but on the first test I saw it glowing a br ight yellow. In the subsequent tests, the LED was barely visibly red at power up, then would turn yellow (didn't seem as bright as the first time I noticed it) when the issue manifests.

The power supply is the Pyramid 120VAC/13.8 VDC converter recommended by AP when I bought the AP1200.

Roland, with respect to your suggestion below, is the sequence:
1. Unplug the Pyramid power supply.
2. Switch on the power supply.
3. Plug it into the 120VAC outlet.

What else can I check?

Thanks,
Eric

---In ap-gto@...,
After you fix the connectors and it still misbehaves, the switch on your power supply may be at fault. Try turning on the switch and then plugging the power supply into the 120VAC. See if the problem occurs.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto gto@...>
Sent: Sat, Aug 5, 2017 7:27 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP900 CP2 Issue

Thanks, Rolando! I'll check. It's a 120VAC/12VDC power supply, so I'll check the connectors.

Eric

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.