Re: ODD Tracking message at APCC Horizon Limit

Ray Gralak

Joe,

I think this may replicate the situation that a recent poster mentioned about finding his mount “not quite
parked”, after an imaging session let the mount continue tracking to a limit (perhaps).
I doubt that. That's a completely different scenario. Roland explained the situation accurately. The park position that TheSky uses definitely *is* different!

Once the limit is triggered and some movement action is given to the mount, tracking can be enabled - otherwise you would never be able to get out of the limit. But there has to be an indicator that a limit was reached (and there was, according to you).

And, about the settling "problem," APCC send the mounts to coordinates and waits for the coordinates to be within a certain amount. If the mount doesn't reach those coordinates, like if you cancel the motion, then the settling message may stay up until APCC can poll the mount and determine state has changed (this may take a while). Eventually the parking status window will close. If you are impatient, you can close the window on your own.

Some of this logic has been updated in the version that will be released soon, so there's no point worrying about it now.

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc
Author of PEMPro: http://www.ccdware.com
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: http://www.gralak.com/apdriver
Author of PulseGuide: http://www.pulseguide.com
Author of Sigma: http://www.gralak.com/sigma

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:11 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] ODD Tracking message at APCC Horizon Limit

Sorry – minor correction on the last part.

APCC shows the “Limits Reached” and selected Action taken, if you hover the mouse over, for example,
the warning yellow Horizon box in the coordinates display panel. That is sufficient “notification” about why
the mount was parked, or stopped tracking, if one remembers (or knows) to check it. So, the hang-up with the
stuck Parking “Settling” remains a mystery.

Joe

Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:01 PM

Hi Rolando,

You seem to be answering an entirely different post – I did NOT mention the Hand Controller – in fact, it
isn’t even plugged in. All commands were done directly from the APCC control panel.

I also ran the test again, this time slewing the mount to the very edge of the Horizon profile, but still in the
safe zone. I jogged the mount carefully, to with a few minutes of crossing the boundary with Tracking
enabled, and set the Horizon Limits option action to PARK – to see what APCC would do in a “normal”
situation, as the mount approaches the border.

Sure enough, it behaved as advertised, and promptly PARKED the mount the moment it hit the edge of the
Horizon Limit profile.
However ... and there’s always a however :-) --- the odd thing was that APCC could not get out of its
“SETTLING MODE”, once it reached the designated parked position. In fact, even clicking on the RED STOP
button in that box, wouldn’t cancel the Settling. I actually had to close the Settling window, by clicking on the
“X”.

I think this may replicate the situation that a recent poster mentioned about finding his mount “not quite
parked”, after an imaging session let the mount continue tracking to a limit (perhaps). That would execute the
operator’s set option, if one had been chosen, Seems APCC still requires operator interaction, to actually
CLOSE the event, even after it responded properly to a Limits violation. Perhaps the intention was to leave it
hanging, as an indication that a Limit had been violated. Otherwise, the operator would never find out –
assuming the event was of interest. Perhaps it might be as an inspiration that APCC was really on guard for
us, or as a heads up to fix a script.

Bottom line ... the LIMITS only work, when coming in from the Safe zone.

Hope this helps,
Joe Z.

Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:50 PM

In fact, switching to HA display, the mount is definitely still tracking, until I click to Toggle Tracking off.

The present Hand controller software does not communicate with the mount or any other software to know
what any of the settings are that you have sent from the other software. He Hand Controller ONLY knows
what its own internal settings are and will send them to the mount if it is used to initialize the mount or if you
toggle thru the settings. Always the Hand controller is totally silent and sends nothing and receives nothing
from the mount (this will be changed in the next HC software upgrade). This is the way the HC has always
worked and I have explained this many times on this user group.

In the future we will make the HC an active program so that it updates itself as to settings inside the mount
when those settings are changed by an outside program. Until then, DO NOT use the HC to try and determine
what settings are in the mount (if you are sending instruction via a separate computer program). It simply does
not know. It is a 1 way street always sending instructions from the HC to the mount, not vice versa.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>
To: ap-gto <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Wed, Jul 5, 2017 4:38 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] ODD Tracking message at APCC Horizon Limit

Hi,

Just wondering why – with the fully updated current V2 driver and APCC PRO on my AP-1200 & CP4, , its
status bar still shows . UNPARKED (AP) and “TRACKING = SIDEREAL” even though the Horizon button is
lit in Yellow, its contents proclaiming ... “Limit Reached (Action: Zero Tracking)”.

No astronomy apps besides APCC, were running during today’s re-test.

Same thing if I change to the ... ACTION: PARK MOUNT ... option on Limit reached. The Limits tab info
concurs with the tripped condition, since obviously the scope position in the globe meatball, is definitely
inside my mapped horizon profile. This was just slewing the mount away from Park-2, but to a spot still inside
the limits field.

Shouldn’t the status bar toggle to also be in line with the Horizon Limit condition?
In fact, switching to HA display, the mount is definitely still tracking, until I click to Toggle Tracking off. Looks
like the options in LIMITS, don’t actually affect the mount tracking or parking.

Then again ... Perhaps this was intentional, and it only works when a Limit is reached with motion from the
Safe zone ... outside the Limits field. That may have to do with not getting jailed at a Park position with no
escape except by momentarily de-activating Limits.
Do the Limits trigger only when coming in from the Safe Zone? Didn’t work that way either, when I discovered
this oddity last night, during a normal PEMPRO (PA) run.

I think this could potentially cause a mount collision, if we setup an imaging script, and go off to bed,
assuming APCC will safe the mount, eventually, when Limits are hit. Hopefully I am wrong.

Concerned ....
Joe Z.

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.