Re: APPM and ANSVR was RE: Re: APPM Run - Plate Solve Failures East of Meridian

Yves Laroche

By any chance did you ask Andy about the questions I had regarding what happens when ansvr passes a scale and the scale is off quite a bit?

Eric, I never ask him but already know the answer.  ANSVR is intended to receive image scale hints in lower and upper limit format.  If you know the exact image scale, let say 3.56 arc-sec/pixel so you will write down this values into APPM.  After APPM will pass these values to Pinpoint (new release) and Pinpoint will pass them as image scale hints with a percentage amount of error.

Yves

Sent: 29 juin 2017 23:08
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: RE: APPM and ANSVR was RE: [ap-gto] Re: APPM Run - Plate Solve Failures East of Meridian

Eric,

The scale is not the same as the telescope is pointing at.

The all-sky plate solve is intended to plate solve a mount that is pointing at unknown position or mount pointing at offset position.  Image scale can be easily calculated depending of your camera and focal length.

ANSVR is searching for an area of the sky according to image star positions and image scale.  ANSVR really don’t about the mount position offset.  Whatever if your mount is lost, ANSVR will retrieve the sky area that matches the real position of the mount.

Hope this will clarify.

Regards,

Yves

Sent: 29 juin 2017 22:50
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: APPM and ANSVR was RE: [ap-gto] Re: APPM Run - Plate Solve Failures East of Meridian

Yves,

Thanks for the update.  By any chance did you ask Andy about the questions I had regarding what happens when ansvr passes a scale and the scale is off quite a bit?

The thing I like about ansvr now is that it doesn't pass a scale so if my mount is pointing in a totally different direction or my scale is way off ansvr will still plate solve it.  The local pinpoint solve will fail if the scale or RA/DEC are way off.

Eric

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.