This could be a very helpful procedure if you have to do it maximum once or twice a year. My thought was that when I have to change my OTA more often, than the new gearbox would be helpful for the balance matter. What do you think?

KR
Thomas

Am 17.06.2017 um 20:07 schrieb 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

I wouldn't obsess over the gearboxes.  The previous design was quite solid and functional as well.  And the CP3 is a pretty-awesome controller that is behind thousands of awesome astrophotos out there.

Balancing an 1100 with a tandem bar and two OTA's w/o the latest cam release levers isn't very hard.  Before mounting the OTA's on the tandem bar, I use a pencil on the floor to figure out the balance point for each OTA separately by placing it's dovetail bar on the pencil and moving it back and forth to find the balance point.  I mount the cameras and other accessories on the OTA's for the balance tests as well.  I mark each OTA's balance point with a tiny bit of painter's tape.  Then I mount both OTA's on the tandem bar, center their balance points on the tandem bar and then find the combination's balance point with the pencil.  With an estimated amount of counterweights in place, I put the tandem bar on the mount and center it on the marked balance point, crank it down really well and then mount the two OTA's, centering each on their balance points.  I then release the RA axis locks (not the separation dovetail knobs!) and adjust the RA counterweights.  Put the whole thing in a known park position and then start the electronics accordingly!

I hope that helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 5:01 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Balance issue GTO1100 CP4

Dear Diego,

I got the 1100 with CP3 for a discounted price. But I was not satisfied with the connection abilities of cp3 and so I purchased the Cp4. Now I thinking about to update to the new gearboxes.

Sometimes it's better to check twice before you purchase new stuff.

Do you know how much the new gearboxes costs? Because I do Imaging with exposures up to 30 minutes p.pic. so I need a real perfect balanced system.

KR
Thomas

Am 17.06.2017 um 16:42 schrieb Diego Gomez diego_gomezp@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

My friend, unfortunately you got the old version of the 1100. I am afraid you also got it with CP 3 box (you will have to check). There is nothing wrong with this model however if you paid the full price of a GTO1100 CP4 then I would ask for a partial refund.

It's like you are buying a 2017 car but instead receives a 2013. In my case I'd be very disappointed and mad of course!

Good luck with the seller!

Cheers,
Diego

Sent from Diego's iPhone

On Jun 17, 2017, at 7:38 AM, 'T. Hellwing' t.hellwing@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Here is one more picture.

There where the cover for the lever should be, is only blank metal. I am completely confused now because without free moving axis I feel unable to balance the system.
Please help!!!

KR
Thomas

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Thomas Hellwing
Am 17.06.2017 um 15:16 schrieb 'T. Hellwing' t.hellwing@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

Could it be that my dealer sold me a GTO1100 with old gear boxes from the GTO900?
KR Thomas

Am 17.06.2017 um 15:08 schrieb 'T. Hellwing' t.hellwing@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

Thers is only one cover on the left side and there you can find the gear wheels.

Am 17.06.2017 um 13:49 schrieb DavFab@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

There's a cover over the levers that you just lift off.

On Jun 17, 2017, at 3:19 AM, t.hellwing@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Dear all,

I tried last night to Balance my system but the dec and even the RA axis are not turning slightly enough.

The manual says that ther are covered levers at the gearboxes to interrupt the gear wheels from the axis. My problem: At my gearboxes are no levers. I bought everything new 4 weeks ago.

Look at these pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwd8k7z21y24nte/2017-06-17%2012.03.03.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd6zub29xqtfav3/2017-06-17%2012.02.37.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for your comments!