Re: Sync on a star confusion

Roland Christen

if I slew to an object using The SkyX, then center it using the hand controller, if I press "sync" in The SkyX the mount will now know exactly where it is?
Yes, indeed that is correct.

And to expand further, the mount always knows exactly where it is, regardless if you sync or not. It just doesn't know where the telescope is exactly pointed at any given time. That's because the telescope doesn't necessarily always point in the same direction as the mount, due to mirror flop, non-orthogonality, optical axis not perfectly aligned with the optical tube assembly, telescope flexure, and half a dozen other things. That's why we have that nice convenient feature of centering the object by moving the mount slightly and then re-affirming that position with a Sync or Recal. Thus marrying that exact mount position with that exact telescope position at that place in the sky (the two will separate again, slightly, as you move to another spot in the sky).

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Thu, Jun 8, 2017 12:59 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Sync on a star confusion

Do I understand correctly:  if I slew to an object using The SkyX, then center it using the hand controller, if I press "sync" in The SkyX the mount will now know exactly where it is?  I read earlier in this thread to make sure the same app is sending the goto command (sending position to the mount) and sync'ing the mount (which is converted to RCAL as I have the appropriate box checked in the V2 ASCOM driver).   Sorry if this seems obvious to most.

Mike

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.