Re: Parking confusion for a mobile user.

Sam Saeed

Can SkySafari park the mount as well?

Sam

On Friday, May 19, 2017, 8:21 PM, Christopher Erickson christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Yes. That is exactly how Sky Safari worked before they added the mount initialization capabilities.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On May 19, 2017 4:21 PM, "Jon jmartin590@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks. Then I can expect that I can still use Sky Safari to slew around even if the mount has been initialized with another program?

Jon

On 5/19/2017 7:33 PM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@gmail. com [ap-gto] wrote:

If you are not initializing the mount with SkySafari then you can use any park position supported by whatever you are using to initialize the mount.

If you are using SkySafari to initialize the mount then SkySafari will expect the mount to be in Park 4 when it initializes it.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 2:53 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Parking confusion for a mobile user.

Please excuse me for jumping in here but Chris said something that I need to understand. I am getting a new 1100 without a hand controller. It will be in my permanent observatory.  My previous mount was a 900 and, I always parked the mount in Park 1 (commanded by SGP or Stellarium Scope) in order to close the roof of my shed.  With the new 1100, I will be using sky safari pro to slew around when doing so from my nearby computer is not practical or desired.  Chris, are you telling me that I can only begin a session from Park 4 with sky safari?  I usually initialize my mount with SGP or, sometimes Stellarium Scope and would hope to end sessions with those programs by parking in Park 1. My computer and chair is on the west side of my mount and I want the scope on that side too.  I only need sky safari to make small slews when centering a target visually where using the slew commands from the computer would not work.

Thanks,

Jon

On 5/19/2017 5:33 PM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@gmail. com [ap-gto] wrote:

I always use Park 3 on my Mach1 and 1100 for when I put them in the travel cases and when I put them together and take them apart.

If I had one of my AP mounts in a permanent observatory I would probably use Park 4 for that.

If you are using Sky Safari Plus/Pro instead of the AP hand controller or ASCOM/APCC then Park 4 is what you have to use to initialize the mount.  That was simply a programming decision made by Simulation Curriculum.  They could have picked any park position or even supported all of them.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 1:11 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Parking confusion for a mobile user.

I just bought a Mach1 (haven't set it up yet, but I've been reading and reading about it).

One of the things that confuses me, is that I've read (but perhaps not understood well) that if you are mobile, you should end your session by sending the scope to park position 4 (and presumably powering down).

The problem is that park position 4 would not be feasible for me to transport the mount in (Park 3 is better)--not to mention being awkward to dismount scope and counterweights from. So I would need to loosen the clutches after it's powered off, move to a position where I can put the mount in its case. But then, before I power it up, I would have to move it back to position 4, presumably. As this would be done manually (how else) it's unlikely to be accurate. How do I recover from that?

Also, it's possible (due to my being used to inferior mounts and often tired at end of evening) that I would forget and just power off the scope in a random position. Normally I would now loosen clutches carefully, move to park 3, remove scope, remove CW's and bar, and pack the mount. But how do I tell the software that I've done something abominable, and to please forgive me? 

altVirus-free. www.avg.com

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.